Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Welding Subject Matter Experts
- - By cccasey (**) Date 04-16-2003 21:28
High School Welding Instructors,
The National Center for Construction Education and Research is a curricula provider for each of the construction trades. This non-profit organization was commissioned in the mid 90's to standardize the basic construction industry training for the country. I am a believer in basic training standardization so I've become involved with them as a voluntary subject matter expert for the welding curriculum.

We are conducting a meeting in Las Vegas, May 13-14, to discuss and develop an academic(secondary school) assessment mechanism for vocational Welding programs.(Basically a standardized test of competencies to evaluate high school welding students). I have been asked to extend an invitation to interested high school welding instructors to join us in this effort to develop consistent basic welding training throughout the country. If this invitation appeals to you then please contact me via my email at Curtc@citlink.net.
Note: This is a voluntary position and would require you to provide your transportation and lodging to the meeting. I've been fortunate to have the support of my school to sponsor my involvement with the NCCER. I will say it is rewarding knowing that I've had a small part in shaping the way welding is taught within this curricula which is published by Prentice Hall and distributed throughout the country.
Thanks for your interest!

Curtis Casey
Northern Arizona Vocational Institute of Technology
Welding Department Chairperson
Show Low, Arizona

Parent - - By stever (**) Date 04-17-2003 03:59
[deleted]
Parent - By cccasey (**) Date 04-17-2003 13:28
Steve
I would be interested in any opinions or experiences you may have from direct involvement with this organization.
Thanks
Curtis
Parent - - By magodley (**) Date 04-17-2003 12:23
Keep in mind that this is not a standards setting organization. Get your calculator out and see what the real cost is.
Andy
Parent - - By cccasey (**) Date 04-17-2003 13:32
Andy,
I'm a bit confused with your comments, which organization? (NCCER? AWS? or this forum?) Also, to what cost are you referring?
Thanks
Curtis
Parent - By magodley (**) Date 04-18-2003 13:18
NCCER is not a National standards setting org. The cost can be high if you buy all of their materials. The program was set up to feed students to the non-union contractors. Thats not all bad. I am familiar with the Education sector requirement for "Industry Certification" (which does not exist as a national std.) that is driving the interest in NCCER's program. Curriculum can be purchase from many sources, and all of it will have to be adjusted somewhat to fit various circumstances.
Andy
Parent - - By Michael Sherman (***) Date 04-17-2003 12:44
We already have the AWS SENSE program and standardized tests for all types of welding. What would your organization offer that AWS does not? I think if we would all get behind the organizations we already have we could accomplish much more than we are. Just a thought.

Mike Sherman
Parent - - By cccasey (**) Date 04-17-2003 14:09
Mike,
I am an AWS SENSE school instructor and I believe that AWS is and should be "a standard" for welding. AWS gives us a standard through QC10 Specification for the Qualification and Certification for Entry Level Welder which is augmented by AWS EG2.0-95 Guide for the Training and Qualification of Welding Personnel - Entry Level Welder, but this guide is basically a list of learning objectives laid out like a course outline and lacks the information which a complete curriculum would provide the instructor. NCCER provides that curriculum which has aligned its competency requirements with those of AWS EG2.
For the past 2 years I have been in conference with NCCER to align it's curricula in a way which supports the AWS competencies so yes I believe I am doing just what you suggested by getting behind the AWS organization to support its training objectives. The curriculum is not a perfect match with AWS but it does provide the instructor with nearly a "turn-key" program for AWS SENSE schools.
Again, this meeting I referred to in my first post is for anyone who may be interested in helping to establish a standardized basic welding assessment for High School students. This assessment test has been requested by numerous state education boards to use as their state competency requirements and by the way, AWS has been invited to join us in this effort.
THanks
Curtis
Parent - By Michael Sherman (***) Date 04-17-2003 20:14
Thank you for the explanation. I have hired many young men from Vocational Schools and there is a difference in what they know based partially on the instructor they have had. The other thing I know from experience is that they only get out of school what they put into it. But we will never change that. I believe I have seen at least one person asking for curriculum advice on this forum before, perhaps it is a good thing you are involved with. Good luck and keep up the good work.

Mike Sherman
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Welding Subject Matter Experts