Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Search the welding material of 2205 type
- - By chunyang ju Date 04-01-2016 01:00
As we known,for the material of S32205 ,we often use the welding material of 2209 type to weld.  I have a special case which is considering the process medium ,  for layer facing process fulid shall have a reduced nickel content from 5-6%. So the welding material shall be 2205 type.
But I can not find this kind material from ASME or GB standards. who knows?
If there is no this kind of material , what should I do to solve the problem?  
Thanks a lot!
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 04-01-2016 18:18
Depending upon your joint configuration you may still be able to use the 2209. Simply use a joint configuration that causes high dilution with the metal. This will bring the filler into closer chemistry with the base metal.
For example, wide bevel angles, narrow or non existent root gaps, and feather edges. With this joint design you will see significant dilution from the base metal.
Or perhaps even an autogenous root.
The only other choice I could offer might be a PH stainless steel (which runs the danger of Cu or Al content) or a ferritic stainless steel. Id recommend the joint design.
However, whichever you choose, you need a welding engineer and some tests.
Parent - - By chunyang ju Date 04-05-2016 00:27
Thanks for your suggestion.
Parent - By fschweighardt (***) Date 04-05-2016 11:41
If you lower the Ni content of the filler, try to ensure proper duplex microstructure with heat input/cooling rates, and consider N2 in the shielding gas to boost the austenite formation
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Search the welding material of 2205 type