Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / SCWI Practice Questions
- - By dbrizor (*) Date 04-01-2016 17:43
Does anyone know where I can get practice questions for the SCWI exam?
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-02-2016 00:24
AAHH, let me look through some info over the weekend but I don't think so. 

I know it pulls heavy from D1.6 Stainless and ISO as well as other general knowledge and PQR with WPS information but AWS itself does not have a seminar directly for the exam and I'm not sure about practice questions. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 04-04-2016 12:14
The search function of this forum is the best resource out there.

Tim
Parent - - By dbrizor (*) Date 04-04-2016 13:02
I found a couple threads about SCWI on here. Good info, I just can't find any solid direction for studying for this test other than the BOK from AWS (20 Specs!). Didn't know if anyone knew, or had any, SCWI practice material/questions.

I did see this post which is great info
https://app.aws.org/forum/topic_show.pl?pid=234875;hl=SCWI%20Exam

Any other advice than the above post for taking the SCWI exam? Was the test what you expected when you took it?
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 04-04-2016 15:08
I don't know of any practice questions available, nor is there a prep seminar like there is for the CWI exam.
It's all self study and experience with the materials.
I expected the test to be rough, and it was, but multiple choice answer tests are not so bad. The most correct answer is right there, you've just got to pick the right one.
The saving grace is that you can bring any text or notes you have with you to the exam. How long it takes to find answers in the reference materials you bring depends on how familiar you are with them.

Tim
Parent - By dbrizor (*) Date 04-04-2016 15:26
Thanks Tim. I appreciate you taking the time and input.
Parent - - By TheNumber8 (*) Date 04-04-2016 16:55 Edited 04-04-2016 16:59
I have never seen any practice questions online but I know that Real Educational puts together an SCWI prep course by request.

The SCWI examination battery is the most unique I have ever encountered in the welding/NDT world. Both parts of the exam are open book but don't take that for granted as each part is only two hours long. The fundamentals portion is 138 questions and I remember it also contained "spec type" questions that one would need to look up unless they had photographic memory.  For example, I had a question on the fundamental exam that asked what shade of welding lens is required when personnel are utilizing the GMAW process, operating at XXX amps.  Unless one can memorize the chart in the welding safety book you would have to look it up.  They also threw in ISO 9001 and D10.4 questions in this section I believe.

I would recommend answering all the questions you know first, then save the ones you need to look up a for last. With the spec test, I would recommend attacking the questions you know and can find quickly, then save the ones you have to dig for, for last. I remember my spec test was heavy on B4.0 and B2.1. There were 10 questions on the ASNT-SNT-TC-1A and the rest of the questions were a mixed bag of the documents listed in the SCWI body of knowledge.
Parent - By dbrizor (*) Date 04-04-2016 17:24
Great info. Thank you
Parent - - By g.g. Date 04-10-2016 00:57 Edited 04-10-2016 01:01
Don't know how many versions of this exam are presented by AWS, & no study guides or practice materials are available (aside from the whole AWS publication library).  Even though it's an open-book exercise, you'll have little time to consult the books; your minimum of 6 years as a CWI is your most valuable asset, particularly if you've had diverse experience.

FYI - some years ago - my exam included what appeared to be an unusually large proportion of questions on LT & AET.  Be cool, & best wishes!  SCWIs aren't standing on every street corner; according to Miami, as of July 2015 the world had 876, & 360 were in the USA.
gary
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-10-2016 01:51
Well there Mr Gary of the AZ Section,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

Now that you have found us, don't be a stranger.  Lots of opportunity to share your couple of years ( :lol: ) worth of experience. 

Parent - - By dbrizor (*) Date 04-12-2016 12:55
Thanks for the input g.g.

I'm going to try the Real Educational training course. I'm in the process of indexing my standards for quick reference (like the D1.1). Do you guys think that will help?
Parent - - By lawrenr2001 Date 04-16-2016 20:36
Gerald and Linda Taylor at Real Educational were very helpful in helping me get through my SCWI certification. Good Folks and I think they are the only training outfit that offers a SCWI course. Give them a call.
Parent - By dbrizor (*) Date 04-20-2016 11:13
Thanks for the input, so far that is my plan of attack. Just working out the timeline. Hearing nothing but good things about RE.
Parent - - By Vcarn Date 04-12-2016 14:46
Hello, this is my first post, I'll try to make it count!  I passed my SCWI exam around 10 years ago and at that time their were very few. However, I do recall the questions being very QC/A and ISO based. A very broad spectrum of welding question and NDT were asked. I did have a book titled "Welding Quality and Assurance Inspection Manual", "A guide to SCWI Inspector" that I studied from. It is dated Nov. 1, 1998 Revision.  It also listed Reference Materials for the Exam. I still have the book actually.  I hope this helps and good luck.
Parent - By dbrizor (*) Date 04-12-2016 19:36
Thanks for the input Vcarn!
Parent - - By dbrizor (*) Date 05-13-2016 13:21
Vcar, I cannot find this book anywhere ("Welding Quality and Assurance Inspection Manual", "A guide to SCWI Inspector"). Do you know where I can get this???
Parent - By TheNumber8 (*) Date 05-13-2016 15:08
I believe this is what is being spoken of:

https://app.aws.org/certification/docs/SCWI_studyguide.pdf
- - By dbrizor (*) Date 04-07-2016 12:41
Tim/Dave, Do you recall if the questions were grouped or did they have them in such a way that you're going back and forth between specifications constantly? (e.g. "There were 10 questions on the ASNT-SNT-TC-1A...". Were these 10 random placed through-out the spec test or in order?)
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 04-07-2016 14:42
I seem to remember the questions being more random than grouped.

Tim
Parent - By TheNumber8 (*) Date 04-07-2016 20:24
I know the Fundamentals test was definitely random and the Specification test was mostly random if I remember correctly. But then, I could have sworn that the TC-1A questions seemed to be grouped--I can't remember 100% because it was all a blur  ;) .  I would prepare and assume for a 100% percent random format. 

One tip I would recommend if you are a quick reader:   When taking the specification exam, stay with one book at a time.  For example, if question 1 asks about welding safety, then you should know to immediately refer to the AWS Z49.1. Once you selected your answer, skim through the questions until you hit another welding safety question, then answer that one.  Also, if you read a question and are totally lost, do not waste time flipping through books and sections because it will burn the clock up and cause stress. Skip it and save it for later.  Also, if you encounter questions you must look up on the Fundamentals test, skip them and save them for last because its a 138 question test in all and only 2 hours. 

Also, when you read questions look for key words:

Anything safety related = Z49.1
Anything related to specifics of mechanical testing = B4.0
Anything asking something specific about stainless steels = D10.4
Anything that asks about a quality program, management functions, audits or suppliers = ISO 9001

You get the point.................

r/
David
- - By dbrizor (*) Date 04-12-2016 19:39
Anybody have a B1.10 2009 PDF they would share?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-13-2016 15:41 Edited 05-13-2016 15:46
Considering it is paramount that the CWI and SCWI's sense of ethics must be above reproach and must be a someone people can trust, maybe you should reconsider whether you should even take the test and whether you can abide by the Code of Ethics. Just saying .........

Can you say "Copyright".

Al
Parent - - By dbrizor (*) Date 05-13-2016 16:41
Found mine. With respect, point taken.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-13-2016 16:47
It is better to get taken to task here than to get hammered when you take the SCWI examination. One can bring references to the examination, but the proctor can stop you cold if there is any hint the reference is a pirated copy.

Good luck on the examination.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By dbrizor (*) Date 05-16-2016 11:22
Thanks Al. I appreciate everybody's input.
- - By Dpeterson Date 06-02-2016 16:14
When I took the test last year, I frantically scoured the net for study material. I found that AWS has two documents for study. I easily found the Quality Assurance study guide, but the NDT study Guide was alot harder to find.

https://app.aws.org/certification/cert1234.pdf           Quality Study Guide SG-4

https://app.aws.org/certification/docs/cert4268.pdf        NDT Study Guide

When I assembled my printed book (downloaded stuff) I printed the "Free Downloads" page and highlighted all the free downloads in my book (i.e. AWS B5.1, AWS QC1, AWS Z49...)
I also put the receipts in for each downloaded resource.

Here are some of the "Must Haves" in my opinion for the SCWI test. Be aware, that you may be a D1.1 GURU, but the answers are not from D1.1, they are directly from the books below...

SCWI-SG-4 Senior Certified Welding Inspector Study Guide – Section 4 Quality Assurance (Free Download)

ANSI Z49.1:2005 (AWS) Safety in Welding, Cutting, and Allied Products

AWS B2.1:2009 Specification for Welding Procedure and Performance Qualification

AWS B1.10:2009 Guide for the Nondestructive Examination of Welds

AWS B1.11:2000 Guide for the Visual Inspection of Welds

AWS B4.0:2007 Standard Methods for Mechanical Testing of Welds

AWS B5.1:2003 Specification for the Qualification of Welding Inspectors

AWS D10.4:1986 Recommended Practices for Welding Austenitic Chromium – Nickel Stainless Steel Piping and Tubing

ISO 9001 Quality Management Systems

ASNT SNT-TC-1A Recommended Practice: Personnel Qualification and Certification for Nondestructive Testing

I remember the test being intense on Heat Treat/Metallurgy, Nondestructive Testing, Qualification and Certification (Procedure, Welder, NDT), and Safety.

Don't be fooled, I thought this was an extremely hard test. I'm a certified ISO Lead Auditor, Lean Expert and Six SIgma Black Belt, ASNT Level III, and have 30 years of experience with ISO 9001, NDT, and Visual Inspection. Obtained my CWI in 2006.

and yes, I passed...but I'm not bragging about this score......
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-02-2016 22:21
Dpeterson,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

Thank you for that contribution to the thread.  Very useful information there for sure.

- - By dbrizor (*) Date 10-14-2016 15:30
Just got my results and passed. 91%. That was a load off.

The fundamentals test was all over the place. Being a CWE i figured I would not have a difficult time with this. WRONG. I was literally on question 138 when the test supervisor announced "one minute left". I had many questions I marked to go back and review that I didn't have time to do. I read a post from another SCWI that said many of his question were open to interpretation and I will say I agree. Many abstract questions that if you don't study you will not do well. Some questions I couldn't even find in the AWS Welding Handbook and I honestly don't think they were in any document in the SCWI BOK.

The code part B, that I thought would be the difficult one, was easy for me. I study my *&^ off for 5-6 months prior to taking the test and had my Specs tabbed and almost memorized though. I had enough time to go back and review all 62 questions again during to 2 hours and change some I overlooked info on. Read EVERY question completely! Some question have a tiny bit of info that changes the answer to something different that you assume is the obvious.

If you come across this post and looking for info on the SCWI exam, I will say this. STUDY. This isn't a test you don't have to prepare for. You will be asked questions outside of your inspection experience and need to really have info ready from memory. You will not have enough time to look up many questions on the fundamentals part. So, know the BOK. Exclusively SNT-TC-1A, QC1, B5.1, B2.1, and d10.4, metallurgy and Quality. I was very surprised and concerned at the amount and type of QA/ISO questions I answered. These are what really ate up my part A time. You need to know how to find info in B4.0 quickly as well. TAB!
I was the guy that took all the books with him in a suitcase filled complete, but only used the specs and the Welding Handbook VOL 1. I also took the Real Eductional SCWI training and can say that it was worth it and helped me prepare. I recommend this...good luck finding anything else too. This SCWI info is few and far between. Don't be discouraged at negitive posts or this one for that matter. If I can do it you can as well. Just prepare, tab and study!

Thank again to all that took the time to help me through this. The info was great and needed.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-14-2016 15:53
Congrats.  A big weight off and time to celebrate.  That is a major accomplishment. 

Brent
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 10-14-2016 17:13
Woot!  91%!!!!:eek:

Great Job!
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-15-2016 03:24
Nice!

Al
Parent - - By Joey (***) Date 10-19-2016 04:02
Al, to have a SCWI is not all the time nice especially for contractual employee like me :cry:

Prospective employers thought that SCWI rate is too expensive and overkill for the job.

I heard it many times from Company's HR that this job requires CWI and not SCWI.

The problem is you cannot keep the CWI once you become SCWI.

Having CWI is adequate based on my experience as freelancer.

If you have to work overseas, and the job requires a CWI, the remedy is to down grade yourself to CSWIP 3.1 and not to declare SCWI. What's the big deal with SCWI if you cannot get a job & cannot feed your family with your advance certificate:lol:.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-19-2016 13:58
The SCWI has demonstrated proficiency in developing WPSs, qualifying WPS, and a demonstrated proficiency in quality control system that is lacking with the CWI credential.

In the past, before the SCWI credential was available, CWIs were expected to perform tasks for which they had little if any competence. For example, they were expected to qualify WPSs, but they had no training in the development of WPSs. They were expected to perform guided bend tests on metals other than carbon and low alloy steels. They are ill prepared to do so. They were expected to perform audits with no training or demonstrated proficiency in quality control programs. The SCWI sought to rectify those deficiencies.

The SCWI has demonstrated proficiency in performing many of the tasks the CWI was simply not qualified to do. That doesn't mean that with additional training and experience the CWI can't perform those tasks, it simply means they have not taken the requisite examinations to require them to demonstrate the knowledge to perform those tasks.

It is like the drivers license one gets in the US. Many drivers have the basic license to drive a family car from here to there, but they lack the knowledge and experience to drive a tractor trailer on the public roads. For that, the driver must demonstrate the ability to handle the big rigs, i.e., demonstrated proficiency. Does that mean the individual driving the family car doesn't have the ability to drive the big rigs? No, it simply means they haven't passed the required driver's examinations to allow them to legally operate the big rigs on the public highways.

As for giving up the SCWI credential in favor of the CWI, why not give up the CWI as well and become a day laborer? There is always a demand for a day laborer as long as they are willing to work for less than the other fellow.

I agree there are many clients that do not understand the difference between the CWI and the SCWI, but that problem exists in all walks of life. It is only with time and experience people will learn the SCWI can perform in rolls the CWI is ill prepared to perform.

I can provide many examples of situations were CWIs performed tasks that were beyond their capability. I can't recount how many WPSs I have rejected that were written by newbie CWIs because they didn't understand the mechanics of writing or qualifying a WPS, especially when working with ASME or military standards. Working with AWS D1.1 is pretty much cookie cutter work, but even there I've seen horrendous mistakes made by CWIs that simply had no clue about what they were doing. It proved very costly to the company that engaged their services and ended up giving the CWI program a black eye. However, the company decided to hire the less qualified individual for less money and they got burned in the process. It is no different than the customer that uses the services of a newbie welder with limited skills instead of paying the little extra money the more highly skilled welder demands. Then the customer complains about the shoddy workmanship of the welded repair that failed after a few hours of use. Ultimately, the customer goes back to the more qualified welder who then charges to remove the poor quality welds and repairs the broken implement properly. The customer ends up paying three times as much as he would have if he went to the qualified welder to begin with.

Welder qualification is another problem area. I recently settled a court case in favor of my client because the CWI didn't even complete the welder qualification test report correctly. The WQTR is a legal document. If it is incorrect, the company loses. In this case they paid a couple of million dollars to my client because of a structural failure attributed to poor welding. The fact that the WQTR was incorrect made it easy to make the argument the welders were not properly qualified, hence they shouldn't have been allowed to weld on the project. The lawyer asked it would be permitted to test the welders after the fact to show they were in fact skilled welders. I ask the lawyer how many cases was he allowed to present in court before he passed his Bar Exams. Case closed, pay the man.

No one asks questions until someone gets hurt and the lawyers come out of the wood work. In the event of a failure, it will be difficult indeed for the CWI that screws up to defend himself or his employer or the client that hired him as a consultant if one simply uses table 1 in AWS B5.1 as the guide of what a CWI is qualified to do versus what the SCWI is qualified to do. 

I'll be honest with you, I don't get every job I quote. I charge more than any CWI/SCWI I know. However, most of my clients come back because I save them money in the long run. Those people that hire based on price alone are the people I would rather avoid.

Is the SCWI overkill? I don't believe it is, but I am biased. You get what you pay for.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Joey (***) Date 10-20-2016 05:05
Thanks Al, feeling good to hear those words. Anyway in reality, there’s more demand of CWI than SCWI on job site.
Engineer delegating job to the CWIs is more common than SCWI to supervise the CWIs.

It is common belief that the rate for SCWI is higher than CWI.
The Company should be able to know the responsibilities of Inspector before hiring. If the job requires the level of CWI, then there is no point of hiring a SCWI. It is not that you have to hire an Inspector first then only to establish his / her responsibilities.

If the contract document states the hiring must be a CWI, then SCWI may not be the priority. Only novice applicants will think they are in a better position because they are holding an ACE card hahaha:lol:. The HR will not put you in their shortlist if you are over qualified to the position needed. That's my experience as freelance inspector as well as getting an associate for the job.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / SCWI Practice Questions