Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Processes / Key Stock or Round Rod as Filler Material
- - By David Berry Date 04-04-2016 17:02
I have a client that wants to use weldable key stock and/or weldable round rod as filler material in moment connections with large gaps.  This is very unorthodox and he is asking for a welding procedure to give to the engineer.  I am at a loss because i have never heard of this being done.  Is it even possible to create a welding procedure for this?  Any thoughts would be helpful.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-04-2016 18:53
I believe the term you describe is called "slugging".

Most codes and best practices forbid slugging.
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 04-04-2016 20:26
what Lawrence
states is true
and slugging is the term
I did it alot in the 1970's and early 80's
but never told inspectors
by the same idea
what they don't know, don't hurt them:wink::eek::twisted:
but they find out, or it fails:eek::sad::red:
BIG trouble
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - By fbrieden (***) Date 04-04-2016 19:59
Run, don't walk.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-05-2016 05:31
David,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

Thank you for coming here with your query. 

Now, as Al has stated/asked/responded, more than likely the 'key stock' and/or 'round rod' is not matching material.  Also, many of them are not listed in Table 3.1 or 3.2 as pre-approved materials for work performed to D1.1. 

BUT, You haven't told us what code, if any, is being used on your job. 

So, ASSUMING D1.1 is invoked, you more than likely would need a PQR and/or engineer approval just to use the material. 

Now, if we are talking about A36 square bar or hot rolled rounds then material grade MAY be compatible. 

So, next question, how about joint design?  Are you talking about slugging as others have surmised, or are you talking about using it as the backing bar that would normally be made from flat bar, 5/16 X 1 1/2" normally, in order to weld from one side only. 

Third question, what do you mean by "in a moment connection with large gaps"?  How large are we talking?  Do you know the maximum root opening allowable for your joint? 

Just a few questions that we really need answers to before making too large a fool out of ourselves.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-05-2016 10:55 Edited 04-05-2016 10:58
Consumable inserts?
http://www.imperialweldringcorp.com/consumable-inserts.html

For large depositions with big gaps, maybe consider electroslag welding ...google "Arcmatic", there are some videos of this process on youtube showing a 1.25" thick x 24" T joint being welded vertically in a single pass.

edit added link: https://youtu.be/w13Kzmd9Ljk
- By 803056 (*****) Date 04-05-2016 03:56 Edited 04-05-2016 03:59
What is weldable keystock or bar stock? AISI 1010, 1020, 1030? Is it ASM material? What are the mechanical properties? Are they the same as the base metal being welded?

D1.1 requires the spacer to be of the same material specification as the base metal being welded.

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Processes / Key Stock or Round Rod as Filler Material