Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / titanium LOF (very sneaky) Ti-6AL-4v
- - By MRWeldSoCal (***) Date 04-05-2016 16:08
Some sneaky lack of fusion .035" fillet welds that crossed my desk today.  Enjoy!

----------> http://imgur.com/a/IUjFL

Maxwell
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-05-2016 16:44
I'm going to ignore the nasty defects and say,,,,: 

Look at those very cool and very large crystal grain boundaries!   Each one of those polygon shapes are individual crystals.

I suspect some pretty rapid cooling,,,  did they have a test fixture for those fillets?  Something with a powerful heat-sink?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-05-2016 16:55 Edited 04-05-2016 16:59
Ok ok,,,,  Nobody asked but I think I can tell you why those defects are they way they are...  From long experience :)

Tungsten angle on those samples were very exaggerated to a push angle.

What happens with titanium and this kind of angle is the following:   The end of the filler metal wire gets a small VERY STICKY ball at the end,,, (any Ti welder will attest to this)....   The large sticky ball then touches the base metal in front of the weld pool and and sticks,, and I mean really stricks, like liquid glue.. Then the operator panics....  When the operator panics, they turn up the heat and shove the torch closer and weave it to wash it into the horizontal piece of base metal  (this is why the fillet is unbalanced and there are voids in unusual locations).

Having a little extra long stickout and a special gas shield will help to give a good torch angle that is 45 to the axis of the weld with about a 5-10 degree "push" angle max...  When this configuration is in place, the filler metal will dip into and out of the leading edge of the puddle without the "stickiness" problems that caused the defects we see above.

Thus endeth the lesson.
Parent - - By MRWeldSoCal (***) Date 04-05-2016 17:36
Wonderful information!  I have no idea how this was welded I just cut them and check them to codes.  But this man has failed many many in a row.  You got any info for inconel?

J
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-05-2016 17:49
Whadda ya wanna know bout Inconel?

There are more flavors of Inconel than Baskin Robbins has different ice cream cones sir :)

Way too often people say... Oh "Inconel"  do this.... or do that... And it's just not that simple... So disaster, misunderstanding and trouble follow...

So bring your inco questions my good man :)
Parent - - By MRWeldSoCal (***) Date 04-05-2016 20:06
I have a student who recently got a job and cant pass the D17.1 rotating tube to sheet 2F test.  She cant seem to seal the root with less than 10% LOF.  I tried to give her advice but I have only done it a handful of times and I am by no means a pro on inconel.

J
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-05-2016 20:44
Thickness of tube?

Thickness of Sheet?

Lemme know those and I can give your friend some tips :)
Parent - By MRWeldSoCal (***) Date 04-05-2016 20:52
.035, 3/8 OD tube on a thing .063 plate
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 04-14-2016 05:16
inco is a dirty sluggish biotch that is what I say!!!
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-06-2016 04:37
Excellent read Lawrence, or should I say sensei! Great information, thank you!
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 05-10-2016 02:48 Edited 05-10-2016 03:57
nada
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / titanium LOF (very sneaky) Ti-6AL-4v