Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / QC11 Certification through SENSE program never expires?
- - By Bowler_Hat (**) Date 04-07-2016 21:27
Hey All,

So, I helped a friend fill out his certification renewal form to maintain their certification. Today they gave me a call, and they told me "the education part of Florida's office and double ched it, I asked a few people down there and they all said the same thing, if your card says SENSE, it never expires."

Now...this is the first I've heard of this...and I'm still on hold with the AWS phone service (think it's after 5 there and I'm bein' dragged through the mud.

If this is true...AWESOME! my certification are still in effect even though I haven't welded with GTAW or SMAW in two years! But my 6G would still hold right?

Eh...I'm going to ask for this one in a letter mailed from the AWS because I have a feeling...there may be a bit of hesitation to accept this, as I haven't seen a note for this in D1.1:2015 / 2010.

Thoughts? Perspectives? Curious Intellectual inquiries?

Thanks all!
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-08-2016 02:30 Edited 04-08-2016 02:34
If you haven't welded pipe in 2 years and only did pipe welding at a SENSE training center... Does it really matter what the paper says?

You are going to have to actually make 6G welds if you want a job there buddy.

I don't know a single employer in the entire United States of America that actually asks for SENSE certs.

If you can make the welds, you will get the job.... If you can't make the welds you won't get the job.... The SENSE certs mean zero in that respect.

Edit:  I'm not knocking SENSE.  Lots of chewy goodness there.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-08-2016 03:40
SSSOOO?  D1.1 says basically the same thing in 4.2.3.1.  Your certification remains in effect indefinitely...so long as you use the process within every six month period and can prove continuity. 

The ATF program and even the SENSE program are all based upon the same principle as D1.1, you must send in documentation to prove continuity and they keep the documents listed as current and up to date thus remaining in effect...UNTIL YOU DON'T SEND THEM THE PROOF AND/OR PAY THEM FOR THEIR WORK AT MAINTAINING YOUR RECORDS. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-08-2016 03:44
The word "Pay" is the keyword.

Al
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 04-08-2016 05:50
Al is so correct
pay is always the key word
like always Lawrence is dead on
cert's gets you in fast for the real interview
but they will test you and see what you can do, in real life work
you need cert's but the company needs work going out the door
how everyone makes $$$$$$$$$$$
just my thoughts
sincerely,
Kent
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / QC11 Certification through SENSE program never expires?