Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / My collection of macro and weld defect PHOTOS
- - By MRWeldSoCal (***) Date 04-14-2016 19:51 Edited 04-14-2016 19:57
I work as an inspector for a lab in California.  I run the destructive testing lab and whenever we have bad macro etch specimens I have my guys take photos of them.  This is my collection thus far, its well over a hundred photos and other little details.  I tried to label as much as possible but didnt get it to it all. Some of the photos I have posted before.  The collection will continue to grow!

Enjoy 

--------> http://mrmaxweld.imgur.com/
Parent - - By Trackergd (**) Date 04-18-2016 13:24
These are great.  I think I can use some as teaching tools.

"Lab in California"?   Black Mesa Research Labs? :eek:
Parent - - By MRWeldSoCal (***) Date 04-18-2016 21:50
Feel free to use as many as you want! 

Jordan
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-18-2016 23:15
Jordan,

Thought I would ask personally and not just take the previous post as a blanket 'feel free' to use.  Do you mind if I use them for teaching tools as well? 

Some great shots there.

Brent
Parent - - By MRWeldSoCal (***) Date 04-20-2016 04:28
Help yourself! Ill keep adding to the album as the year moves along..

J
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 04-20-2016 05:01
Great stuff Jordan, thank you for making it available here. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By MRWeldSoCal (***) Date 04-20-2016 18:05
Thank you!  I just added to it today, I will continue to add to it through my career so if you all keep the link you can always reference macros and new stuff I add.

Jordan
Parent - By Blaster (***) Date 04-20-2016 19:20
Those are great, thanks for posting.  I can use those as aides in my welding courses.
Parent - - By Trackergd (**) Date 04-21-2016 13:55
I agree, they are great references.   It would be great if examples like these were put into some sort of AWS searchable file based on material and discontinuity with remarks by our knowledgable membership.  Beats re-inventing the wheel over and over....
Parent - By MRWeldSoCal (***) Date 04-21-2016 18:32
I hear ya, I am trying to create a mega resource for this type of stuff.  It really hard to find large amounts of this.

J
Parent - - By MRWeldSoCal (***) Date 04-22-2016 19:06
Just added another album of aluminum fillets!

http://imgur.com/a/mmbG4
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-22-2016 20:25
That's a tough little weld!

There are a lot of things you need to do just right to get those to pass.

It really can make you skeptical when under ideal test conditions you see problems.

There were a lot of similarities in profile and porosity in those slides.

The arc length needs to be ultra-tight, which is very hard to do with aluminum as it tends to "puff" when filler is added.... The operator needs to gently lift the tungsten every time he dips, and then lower it back down in a rhythm... Also with a very minimal push angle is necessary, if you push more than about 10 degrees you see this kind of result.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / My collection of macro and weld defect PHOTOS