Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Electrode drying oven job sites
- - By danmagrana Date 04-25-2016 08:14
Hi there,

I have read in a fabricator publication that the AWS has regulations implemented which require ovens to be used at 'specific job sites'.
I was wondering what these jobs sites are - Can anyone help me out and point me in the right direction? It would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Dan
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-25-2016 11:32
Welcome to the forum Dan.

Great question.

The regulations you mention (AWS) are applicable if the work being done is compliant with an AWS code.

Here is an example using AWS D1.1 2015

"5.3.2.1 Low-Hydrogen Electrode Storage Conditions.
All electrodes having low-hydrogen coverings conforming
to AWS A5.1 and AWS A5.5 shall be purchased
in hermetically sealed containers or shall be baked by the
user in conformance with 5.3.2.4 prior to use. After opening
the hermetically sealed container, electrodes not immediately
issued for use shall be stored in ovens held at a
temperature of at least 250°F [120°C]. Electrodes shall
be rebaked no more than once. Electrodes that have been
wet shall not be used."

Also See  AWS D1.1 2015  Clauses; 5.3.2.2,   5.2.2.4 and 5.2.2.5 for further guidance in handling, rebaking and some restriction for specific grades of base metals.

If the electrodes are designated as "low hydrogen" (an example of low hydrogen is E7018-X) it must be stored with atmospheric controls (oven) after it is opened from it's sealed container.

The AWS specification for stick electrodes (SMAW) are AWS A5.1 Specification for Carbon Steel Electrodes for Shielded Metal Arc Welding.

If the work is governed by ASME, API, or even other regional specifications, the controls may be more stringent... But probably not less.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-25-2016 16:16
Actually, API 1104 says the covered electrodes should be protected from changes in moisture content. The work around is easy, store them in water. They cannot get any wetter.

ASME B&PV codes, no mention of electrode storage conditions I am aware of.

in the case of AWS D1.1, there are restrictions as mentioned by my good friend Lawrence, but in light of the New Farm Code (AWS D1.1:2015), the allowance to weld on surfaces contaminated with residual oil, grease, or water, I see nothing wrong with rolling the electrodes back and forth a few time to "dry" the surface to be welded. By the way, this is sarcasm directed toward D1 committee members.

Hate to hijack the thread, but I think it is time to think about starting a protest petition against the changes in D1.1 that permits welding on surfaces that are contaminated. Time for a new thread.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-25-2016 16:38
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Electrode drying oven job sites