Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / GMAW Inspection
- - By jtmiller Date 04-17-2003 17:48
Perhaps I should ask this question another way. How as an Inspector can you tell if the process being used is Globular, spray arc, or Short Circuit? Is there a certain sound to listen for? Is the equipment different for each process? Is the voltage very much less in short circuit?
Parent - By Dirtrider (**) Date 04-17-2003 18:47
I'm curious about this too. Wish there were some video clips that showed the two processes side by side to see and HEAR the differences. I noticed when I went from .024 wire to .030 there is a much different sound to the welding, more of a hissing and less like the "frying bacon". I really wish I knew an experienced welder to show me first hand!
Parent - - By rodofgod (**) Date 04-17-2003 22:28
First of all globular and short circuit are one of the same (at least in the U.K.) Typically,short circuit transfer will result in a sound much like frying bacon,the weld appearance will show ripples on it and there will be spatter present.Spray transfer,on the other hand sounds a lot smoother and the weld appearance reflects this,a more concave fillet weld,for example.There will also be less spatter present.
Parent - By steelman7018 (*) Date 04-18-2003 01:27
Ed Craigs site weldreality.com used to have pictures of the different transfer methods. check out the site and see it they are still there.
Parent - - By welder_guy2001 (***) Date 04-18-2003 02:13
there is usually a lot of splatter w/ globular and it sounds like short circuit but w/ the feed speed set too low. short circuit is what's used with most small machines. spray sounds like an electronic buzzing or like some kind of musical horn or a plasma cutter. spray uses a lot higher voltage and a different gas mixture most of the time.

I agree w/ the other guy...check out weldreality.com
Parent - By Dirtrider (**) Date 04-18-2003 19:04
Ya, weldreality.com has some extreme time-lapse clips of the process, but nothing with sound that really shows it being laid down in real time. He does claim it can be done with C25 at the correct settings & wire.
Parent - By kam (**) Date 04-21-2003 12:46
If you have a spare $30 buy a CD from Miller called MIG Fundamentals. Has both video and audio example of all transfer modes.

kam
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / GMAW Inspection