Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AWS D17.1 Qualification of Procedures
- - By hnguy061 Date 04-28-2016 16:42
Hello AWS Community,

I am the quality engineer for an FAA Repair Station and am in the process of setting up an AWS D17.1 qualification for our welders.

The question I have is the testing required for PQR's. I have created preliminary WPS's and have had our welder weld test coupons in complete penetration single groove welds using the dimensions specified by Figure 5.6 in AWS D17.1:2010. I am reading both AWS D17.1 and AWS B2.1, and am confused as to the testing required for PQR testing.

What tests am I supposed to perform in order to qualify the procedure? A CWI that I spoke to told me that AWS B2.1 depicts the requirements for qualifying to AWS D17.1, and that Tensile Tests and Bend tests need to be performed in addition to the visual. Another person I spoke to said that Only a visual, PT/MT, and RT need to be performed on the test weldments.

Could someone please clarify the requirements I need to qualify a procedure under AWS D17.1?

-Charlie
Parent - - By hnguy061 Date 04-28-2016 17:12
I wanted to add that the alloys I am attempting to test are Groups I-VI : 4130, 17-4PH, 718 Inconel, 6061-T6, AZ31B Mag, and 6AL-4V Ti.

-Charlie
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-28-2016 18:38
Welders must be qualified per AWS D17.1 using a written WPS. The test welds are evaluated as Class A welds.

While there are no prequalified WPSs per D17.1, only Class A and B welds must be deposited using a WPS qualified by testing. Class C welds must follow a written WPS. WPS must address the variables listed by D17.1, but may utilized B2.1 for guidance.

Repair welds and welders performing repair welds - a few differences apply.

As is often the case, more information about the nature of the welding required and one must involve the Engineering Authority, since the EA must bless the approach used.

Al
Parent - By hnguy061 Date 04-28-2016 18:48
Thanks Al for your answer.

I understand that test welds for performance are done to Class A acceptance, and Class A require qualified WPS.

What I'm still confused about is that AWS D17.1 calls out in 5.4.2.2 Test methods for welding procedure specification qualification requires the tests in Table 5.5 for weld procedure qualification. According to the table, it lists Visual and Penetrant as YES, and Bend / Macro conditionally with Note c.

So for my PQR, do I need to only test VT, PT/MT, and a single Bend/Macro?  Because this differs from B2.1 which calls out 4 Bends, 2 Tensiles, and a VT.  Could I substitute bend tests for RT Tests?

We have our supply of 0.125"x3"x8" coupons and 0.040"x2"x5" coupons for each alloy to cover a range of thicknesses, and if 4 bends and 2 tensiles are required, I am unsure of how many specimens we would need to weld of each in order to have enough bend / tensile blanks.

-Charlie
Parent - - By hnguy061 Date 04-28-2016 19:57
Actually, I was able to find in the scope of Annex C of the specification "This annex shall be used when bend testing is the method to accept a WPS or welder/operator qualification". It lists in the Annex Table C.1 that groups IB, IIB, IIIB, V are all not applicable for bend tests, where Metallographic or Radiographic tests will be used instead.

This leaves me with just bend tests for 6061 and 6AL-4V titanium. The bend test criteria in Table C.2 are different than those laid out in AWS B2.1, and it seems there is only requirement for a single bend specimen for WPS qualification?
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-29-2016 01:40
As you can see from the notes, you would be well advised to involve the EA early in the process or simply used B2.1.

Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AWS D17.1 Qualification of Procedures