Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / What are your thoughts on container houses?
- - By MRWeldSoCal (***) Date 05-02-2016 16:26
Take a look see and I curious what yall think of these.  I feel I would rather buy land and build a beautiful one of these.

https://www.google.com/#q=container+house+designs
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 05-02-2016 22:21
Some of them are fairly decent. Won't go into the structural aspects as I am sure you can sort that. Don't know the cali building code, but using words like eco friendly, recycling, etc might push you past most problems.
Parent - By lo-hi (**) Date 05-03-2016 01:16
Saw something a few years ago, I think Finland built a big housing complex as a dorm for collage kids. Thought about building  Camptainers. Secure hunting and vacation housing.
Parent - By Tyrone (***) Date 05-03-2016 10:43
Concept looks sound.  I've only seen beaten up, rusted sea containers.  A brand spanking new one may look better.  Guess you could replace with a new one in 20 yrs.  :grin:

Tyrone
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-03-2016 20:47
Just don't use one for a underground bug-out shelter without reinforcing the thing for the crushing loads of the soil. Heard several horror stories already....
Parent - By MRWeldSoCal (***) Date 05-03-2016 22:02
Yea i think I would go with a round 12 foot pipe section or something if i went underground..
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 06-01-2016 11:50
There is an episode of Mythbusters where they are checking the myth about Hitler's assassination attempt at Wolf's lair. They dug out a hole to bury a shipping container in and when Jamie was covering the container it had a structural failure due to the weight of the dirt.

Me personally, I'd like to have a Hobbit hole, no a/c required!
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 06-03-2016 12:16
I'd like to make a mobile kitchen with one. Instead of a food truck with taxes and maintenance, just pay a hauler to place the box somewhere for the weekend and make some side dough.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 06-03-2016 12:26
Good idea but they'd find a way to tax you!! Or tax you twice!! LOL!!
Parent - - By mcostello (**) Date 06-04-2016 02:26
Where would they send the bill?
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 06-04-2016 20:10
Yeah, remember, we're talking about the IRS, they do what they want. They will find you.
- By BryonLewis (****) Date 04-06-2020 23:41
I love the concept. I attempted to get in a Meetup group 10 years ago that had one planned but couldn't get the personnel or funding to get it done.

There is one in Kansas City that was designed and built but by using custom ordered containers from China instead of getting used ones and repurpose them.

I also like the concept of homes made from metal grain bins.  Look that one up
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / What are your thoughts on container houses?