Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Acceptance Criteria for Bend Tests
- - By jacsqt Date 05-10-2016 03:56
In my brief review of D1.1, it appears to me that 4.8.3.3 contains the criteria for all guided bend tests. Therefore, this portion of the Code would apply to those doing plate tests in the various welding positions. However, I've been told by some that this is not correct and that 4.8.3.3 applies only to destructive tests related to WPSs. With regard to the final point, I assume they mean a WPS and its related PQR. If these folks are correct, what portion of the Code relates to acceptance criteria for plate tests? I hope this made some sense. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-10-2016 05:40
I'll probably stick foot in mouth, but, without taking the time to look up the numbers they are partly correct.  I say that because the criteria mentioned is in the section of Clause 4 that pertains to WPS and/or PQR qualification testing. 

BUT, they are incorrect in that in the section of Clause 4 that pertains to Performance Qualification (Welder Qualification) it refers you back to the same criteria for judging PQR/WPS bend coupons.  So, they are essentially the same. 

I'll look the numbers up and verify and try to show chain of relevance tomorrow.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-10-2016 05:41
BTW,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!
Parent - By jacsqt Date 05-10-2016 23:56
Thanks for the reply and welcome!
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-11-2016 16:29
First things first, what edition of D1.1 are you using? If you are not using the 2015 edition for qualifying the WPS and welder, why not?

To be certain, I will not recommend using the Farm Code for any purpose other than to prop up a table to keep it from rocking, but earlier editions of D1.1 are good examples of a welding code.

If you are using the Farm Code, I hope it is because someone has a gun to your head and you have no alternative.

Clause 4 contains the acceptance criteria for the mechanical testing and visual acceptance criteria applicable to the qualification of the WPS and the welder. Unless the WPS/welder qualification is for tubulars and you are using the Farming Code, in which case, one would have to look at clause 9 for tubulars.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 05-11-2016 16:42
Al,
tell us how you really feel :eek:
sincerely,
Kent
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Acceptance Criteria for Bend Tests