Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Weld metal thickness in procedue qualificatiw
- - By Bijit Sarkar (*) Date 05-10-2016 14:50
Hi,
I have a doubt regarding weld metal thickness. I came to know from my friends that weld metal thickness is the thickness excluding reinforcement. But I could not find in section IX . In performance qualification it is clearly given thickness excluding reinforcement. So my question is, is the deposited weld metal thickness in procedure qualification, reinforcement to be considered? If no then is there any interpretation regarding this?
Thank you
Parent - - By Don56 (**) Date 05-10-2016 15:44
QG-109.2     weld reinforcement: weld metal on the face or root of a
groove weld in excess of the metal necessary for the specified
weld size.
When qualifying a WPS, we have 2 thicknesses to deal with potentially.  The thickness of the base metal, which will determine the thickness the procedure can be qualified for (QW-450) and the thickness of the deposited weld metal.  If you are using more than one process the amount of weld metal deposited with each process comes into play.  Long and short, the thickness qualified is based upon the thickness of the coupon.  Because you have weld reinforcement deposited greater than the thickness of the coupon does not permit qualification based on deposited weld metal thickness.
Parent - - By Bijit Sarkar (*) Date 05-11-2016 07:57 Edited 05-11-2016 07:59
Thank you..and another thing, for procedure qualification gtaw process...addition of backing is not essential. Bur what about deletion of backing???
Parent - - By Don56 (**) Date 05-17-2016 21:02
See table QW-256
Parent - By Bijit Sarkar (*) Date 05-23-2016 10:15
Hi Don56,
Yes, in QW-256, addition of backing is non-essential variable......but what about deletion of backing....in PQR GTAW is used with backing, in production there is a joint with single 'V'...i was wondering if this PQR can be used without chipback...so I want to know tha if deletion of backing is also non-essential variable? And where it is written.
Thank You
- - By Rab8621 Date 05-12-2016 08:28
Good Day!

We are going to proceed for the welding of the Above ground Storage Tanks (Service Water, Raw Water, Potable water, fire water),,

Please, What's the required Qualifications for this type of welding? WPS & PQR

Thanks
Parent - By mwmw (**) Date 05-20-2016 00:54
API650?
- - By cesquimon Date 05-18-2016 22:41
Hola a todos, tengo una pregunta sobre la utilización del AWS D1.1/D1.1M:2015, como puedo elaborar procedimientos precalificados utilizando este código.
Gracias de antemano.
Parent - - By Mwccwi (***) Date 05-19-2016 12:19
cesquimon.
Just read Clause 3, if anything is outside of the limitations specified, then you must qualify the WPS per Clause 4
Parent - By cesquimon Date 05-19-2016 18:53
Gracias por la respuesta.
Sin embargo tengo otra pregunta, cual es el contenido mínimo que debe tener el WPS precalificado?, por ejemplo necesito un WPS precalificado para soldar en plancha, de 1/2" de espesor, por el proceso SMAW.
A la espera de su respuesta, me despido.
Gracias de antemano.
- - By Bijit Sarkar (*) Date 05-24-2016 02:52
Hi Don56,
Yes, in QW-256, addition of backing is non-essential variable......but what about deletion of backing....in PQR GTAW is used with backing, in production there is a joint with single 'V'...i was wondering if this PQR can be used without chipback...so I want to know tha if deletion of backing is also non-essential variable? And where it is written.
Thank You
Parent - By Don56 (**) Date 05-24-2016 21:25
If it is not prohibited you are OK.  If you look at QW-253, deletion of backing is not an essential variable, but adding it is not prohibited.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Weld metal thickness in procedue qualificatiw