Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / TipTig
- - By TimGary (****) Date 05-10-2016 15:28
Can anyone provide some first hand experience critique of a manual TipTig system?

Thanks,
Tim
Parent - - By Jarhead1 (**) Date 05-10-2016 16:23
Tim,

Went to Phiily 5-6 years ago for a demo. Our product line was SS tanks/vessels that needed to be filled with gas which needed to be leakproof. We manually TIG welded all these vessels sizes varied from small to very large and were looking for a quicker method or speed up production.
We found that 1. The starts and stops were similar to GMAW stops and starts killed us when it came to leak points. 2. The position of the wire feeder on torch being at a fixed position were difficult when welding around  corners and out of position. 3. Torch was pretty heavy and awkward. 4. Took sometime to get wire feeder adjusted to process. 5. Removed the art out of TIG welding in general.

I asked for some references and was never sent any by the owners of the company.

By saying all this the process could of be much better to date. Just my 2-cents.

Thanks
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 05-10-2016 17:19
Thanks for the reply.
Your comments were exactly what I was wondering about.
Trying to figure out how versatile the system is from folks whom have actually used it, rather than relying on "Sales-Speak".
I appreciate your time.

Maybe someone who uses it in a production basis will reply as well?

Tim
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / TipTig