Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Join Aluminum 6061-T6 to Aluminum 7020-T6
- - By Eric Chew Date 05-13-2016 02:15
Hi, I am new to aluminum welding and I am not sure whether is there any concern of welding Aluminum 6061-T6 to Aluminum 7020-T6 together.
If it has no concern, what is the suggested MIG and TIG filler wire to be used?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-13-2016 03:11
Welcome to the Forum Eric !

I think there is a concern joining the two alloys you mention.

While both base metals you list are deemed weldable you cannot possibly receive positive or negative guidance with the small amount of information you have provided.

This is a high level engineering decision that must account for many factors in design function, loads, fabrication and process control.

Even after the engineering decisions are made, it will be important to prove the procedures via procedure qualification testing in accordance with governing specifications or sound engineering practices.

Here is a link to a producer who may know of expert consultation services that you can get to help you move forward.
http://www.aircraftmaterials.com/data/aluminium/7020.html

Also... MIG and TIG wire are the exact same composition; they are just packaged differently
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 05-13-2016 03:53 Edited 05-13-2016 06:57
Eric,
Lawrence is correct...no surprise there:cool:
just off the top of my head for filler
go with maxal (aka hobart) 4943
but there are very few welders in the world to make this call correctly,
let the EOR make the call
then correct them and tell them they are an idiot:evil::twisted::wink:
sincerely,
Kent
edit: forgot if you can check with Frank Amerao (sp) @ Lincoln Electric..best in the business
- By 803056 (*****) Date 05-13-2016 17:08
The alloy 7020 is not included in D1.2, so at best is not considered a weldable structural alloy per the Structural Welding Code/Steel.

The 7xxx series aluminum alloys are alloyed with zinc, which doesn't lend itself to ease of welding.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Join Aluminum 6061-T6 to Aluminum 7020-T6