Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Position During Qualification Test
- - By NathanB52 Date 05-18-2016 10:26
Hello, I am new to this site and would appreciate any opinions on my question:

If qualifying a procedure to D1.1:2015 using the GMAW process in the 2F position, does that qualify the procedure for 2F- Rotated? The part would be welded on a rotator in production because it is a pipe to plate weld. Also it is not a pipe but it is a 4.25" 4340 solid shaft, so it will be cheaper to acquire a plate instead of a solid shaft to perform the test. Thank you.

Best Regards,

Nathan
Parent - By Steelslinger (**) Date 05-24-2016 12:41
Hello Nathan,

Not sure how to treat a solid round bar other than as pipe due to welding "around" rather than a straight line, so I would think you'd want to use 4.12.2, 9.16 & Fig. 9.21 as your testing method/criteria.

Adam
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 05-24-2016 17:24
Hey Nathan,

As far as I can see, D1.1 doesn't get into rotated position, meaning that if the WPS calls for flat / horizontal, rotation to keep the weld in that position is a non-essential variable.

Tim
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-24-2016 22:35
Tim, and Nathan,

Under the new D1.1:2015 farm code, the tubing requirements for qualification and production are in Clause 9.  Going mostly from memory on the old requirements from Clause 4 a 1G on tubing/pipe is rotated per D1.1.  Otherwise it would be a 5G.  So, your pipe is in the horizontal position with the circumferential groove and following weld going all the way around and encompassing every position, except 6G, and needing to be rotated during welding to keep the weld within a 15° rotation from true top dead center flat. 

As such, position would be restricted within the limitations on the Welders Performance Qualification Record and that is the only position you could weld in.  Just as using a 1G for plate and being limited in the weld being truly down flat and not horizontal, vertical, or overhead.

Brent
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-25-2016 23:38
If the welder is making the weld in the hirizontal position and he is qualified for horizontal fillets, rotation is a non factor.

Clause 9 is specific to hollow structures and does not apply to your description.

It's all about the position the weld is made in.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-26-2016 01:20 Edited 05-26-2016 01:23
Thank you Lawrence,  I must have been asleep.  I thought he had asked about 1G rotated but I see, after reading your post, he asked about 2F. 

My mistake.  And another one bites the dust.

edit: so, wondering, if he truly is asking about in rotation, there are definitely more questions that a picture would make all things clear on.

Brent
Parent - By NathanB52 Date 06-10-2016 14:01
Thank you for your response!
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Position During Qualification Test