Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI Test
- - By Dreizehn (*) Date 05-18-2016 16:08
So, I've had my nose in D1.1 2010 pretty heavy the past few months in preparation for the seminar and test. I don't want to burn myself out too quickly in just the one book, so I was wondering if there are any other books/forms etc that you more seasoned guys would suggest one study? I am going to be dropping some cash on the D1.1 2015 so anything else you'd suggest grabbing would be great. Thanks.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-18-2016 22:45
That will depend upon several factors.  Things like money available? Do you mind having extra copies of certain references? etc.

Now, the one I would recommend foremost is the Welding Inspection Handbook, Code: WI in the bookstore.  This makes a great reference book at a decent size to carry with your gear.  And only $63 for members. 

Along with it would be the Certification Manual for Welding Inspectors, Code: CM and $138 for members.  Another great resource for future reference and great pre-study for the exams.

These two will get you going good for the seminar and exam without doubling up on material that will be given to you for the cost of the seminar.

Then, if you take both the online pre-seminar and the regular seminar they will send you all of your books early for your online studies but you have to remember to bring them with you to the seminar and exams.  But it makes for great opportunity to study ahead of time and not spending twice as much for books.  And the online courses are well done.  They will mainly help you through the Part A General Knowledge closed book exam but really help to understand the why's of things you find in the code book.

Good luck.

Brent
Parent - - By 357max (***) Date 05-20-2016 02:36
The CWI exam tests to the 2015 D1.1 Structural Steel. There are nine clauses versus the eight in the 2010. Study Hard
Parent - By HJLBX Date 05-20-2016 12:42
The candidate must specify to which code they wish to test from the available code subjects.

The current available code subjects are (as of 5/2016 - see most up-to-date Body of Knowledge to verify current available code subjects http://www.aws.org/library/doclib/BodyOfKnowledge.pdf) :

AWS D1.1 - Structural Steel Code: 2015 Edition including 2nd Printing (Code Clinic available)

API 1104 - Pipelines 20th or 21st Editions (Code Clinic available)
Code clinic available only for 20th
edition with Errata /Addendum July 2007, Errata 2
December 2008/ Errata 1 April 2014  

AWS D1.2 - Structural Aluminum Code: 2014 Edition

AWS D1.5 - Bridge Welding Code: 2015 Edition (including Clause 12)

AWS D15.1 - Railroad: 2012 Edition

AWS D17.1 - Aerospace: 2010 w/ Errata and Amendment

ASME Sec IX: 2015 Edition, B31.1 (2014) & B31.3 (2012)

ASME Sec VIII (Div 1) & ASME Sec IX: 2015 Editions
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI Test