Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / FCAW Questions...
- - By FloydH19 Date 05-29-2016 19:14
Hey, Floyd here, so I'm 19 and just finished my 8 month course for my C ticket (Level 1,2 under new ITA program, B.C, Canada).
Really focused on FCAW throughout school so I took my ALL POSITIONS FCAW CWB plate tests, and passed them all (1gf, 2gf, 3gf, 4gf)

After getting my ticket and plate qualifications, I got a job at an agriculture equipment mfg. shop as a parts guy, just to start off somewhere and get my hours for my next level, I'm very confident in my ability and have the dedication

I work with a lot of great welders and I've asked a lot of them and they've all given my different answers, so this is what I'm wondering:

1. Most guys there push their flux core, I was taught you are NEVER supposed to push, but is it okay as long as you stay ahead of your puddle? I feel like slag gets all trapped underneath, they just say it gets burned out so nbd. now nothing is structural so i don't know how big of a deal it is, but I don't want to put down bad welds and get into that habbit. so should i always keep pulling or is pushing okay?

2. Also my machine is running 1/16'' wire, and i weld on about 1/4 material, I've asked for smaller machine but no can do, a problem I have with this is burn through, so i'm thinking slight manipulation and faster welding speeds, or either pushing it for faster welding speeds but confused as stated above. and when i start my bead, say on a 2F, theres that little crevice in the corner where a little dink of slag gets trapped, a guy said to pull back to where you start and let it pool, but on thin material burn through is a prob.

3. Anyone with all positions FCAW know good places to branch off to or where to go from here (ie: Seaspan etc.)

Thank you for all your help sorry there's alot of info for such little problems.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-30-2016 12:59
I think you told us why the welders are using a push technique (forehand) rather than a pull technique (backhand). They are using a large diameter electrode on "thin" base metal. They are limiting the heat input and burn through using the push technique and high travel speed.

The best way to determine whether they (or you) are getting fusion to the root of the fillet weld is to simply test a sample by breaking the fillet weld open to see the root.

Generally I don't recommend using the push technique for the exact reasons you list, primarily that the slag will get ahead of the weld pool and incomplete fusion will result. Rarely, if ever will the next weld bead generate enough heat to completely remelt the root bead and ensure complete fusion in the root.

Good luck in your new career.

Al
Parent - By FloydH19 Date 06-06-2016 05:58
Thank you, definitely clarified it for me, I'm just gunna keep on doing my thing any other advice is appreciated!
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / FCAW Questions...