Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / B2.1 2009 Bend specimen question.
- - By dbrizor (*) Date 05-31-2016 19:22
Referring to Annex B section B2.3 and Figure B.2A (note 3).

These say 2 different things. What am I missing here? Which is correct? Any help is appreciated!
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 05-31-2016 19:58
The discrepancy you've noted is carried over word for word in the 2014 version.

If you follow either requirement, you'll technically be compliant with the spec.

I don't know if the following is correct, or just an opinion, but I've heard somewhere that:
"In cases of information discrepancy between figures/tables and text - the text rules."

Therefore, I would follow B.2.3, unless I was inspecting work that was done to Figure B.2A, note 3, which would be acceptable.

Tim
Parent - - By dbrizor (*) Date 06-01-2016 12:16
Thanks Tim! I have a couple more questions I'd like your opinion on as well if you have the time.

In B2.4 it states- "For base metal thickness less than 3/8 in, the thickness of the specimen may be the thickness of the base metal, except that M-23 and M-35 materials (excluding alloys C95200 and C95400 for which 3/8 in is required) shall be a maximum of 1/8 in thick. For metals less than 1/8 in thick, the specimen thickness shall be the thickness of the base metal."

Breaking this down,

the parenthetical comment "...(excluding alloys C95200 and C95400 for which 3/8 in is required)" is in a sentence starting with "For base metal thickness less than 3/8 in,...".

Figure B.2A states deviation in base metal thickness welded with F-23 filler metals only. Is alloys C95200 and C95400 only to be qualified on 3/8 in specimens, not allowing thinner test specimens? This is how I am reading this but doesn't add up to me.

and I am assuming the last sentence ("For metals less than 1/8 in thick, the specimen thickness shall be the thickness of the base metal.") is referring to M-23 and M-35 materials correct?
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 06-01-2016 20:06
Ok, so... we're talking about specimens for bend testing. Let's keep in mind that some materials don't bend very well, especially after welding, and, some folks are only working with sheet metal so don't need plate thickness PQRs.

"For base metal thickness less than 3/8 in, the thickness of the specimen may be the thickness of the base metal, "

Table 4.3 tells us that when PQR testing materials 1/16" - 3/8" thick, production thickness limitations are 1/16" thick minimum to 2T, and when PQR testing on material less than 1/8" thick the production thickness limitations are 1/2T to 2T (T= thickness of material PQR tested).

"except that M-23 and M-35 materials shall be a maximum of 1/8 in thick"
     I'm not sure about this, but I think it's almost impossible to get these aluminum and aluminum bronze materials to survive a post CJP weld bend test if over 1/8" thick. Hopefully someone else can provide better insight.

"(excluding alloys C95200 and C95400 for which 3/8 in is required)"
     Again, not sure of the reason behind this, must be something to do with these particular grades of castings, but yes, I take it as 3/8"T required.

"Figure B.2A states deviation in base metal thickness welded with F-23 filler metals only. Is alloys C95200 and C95400 only to be qualified on 3/8 in specimens, not allowing thinner test specimens? This is how I am reading this but doesn't add up to me."
     Perhaps these alloys should not be welded with F-23 filler? Not really sure...

"and I am assuming the last sentence ("For metals less than 1/8 in thick, the specimen thickness shall be the thickness of the base metal.") is referring to M-23 and M-35 materials correct?"
     I take this as considering all materials except for C95200 and C95400.

No doubt this section is poorly written and in need of some serious word-smithing.
Perhaps we'll get some more comments from folks more familiar with these materials and we can send suggestions for improvement to the B2.1 committee.

Tim
Parent - By dbrizor (*) Date 06-02-2016 12:35
Thanks for the time and info!
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / B2.1 2009 Bend specimen question.