Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / New Part B Spec Book - practice question
- - By AlexAnd1104 Date 06-02-2016 00:03
Hello all,

I'm doing practice questions based on the new Part B Book of Specifications (released Jan 1, 2016).

This question is throwing me for a loop.

Evaluation of guided bends is a part of a welding procedure qualification. The following apply:
- qualification is from a plate 7/16" thick,
- welded in the vertical position,
- with an uphill progression.
Parent - - By AlexAnd1104 Date 06-02-2016 00:09
I thought I had found applicable advice in 5.3.1. (2) (b) of the spec book:
"Side bend specimens may be substituted for face and root bend specimens for metal thicknesses from 3/8 to 3/4 inch inclusive...For base metals 3/8 inch thick and greater, side bends are required for GMAW-S."

But...the correct answer ended up being:
"The bends are not proper width for the procedure being qualified, and they do not meet the acceptance criteria per the specification."

This totally threw me off. Para. 5.4.2 lists bend criteria, as far as which face is on the convex side, grinding direction, and so on and so forth, but I see nothing that matches the correct answer.

Could anyone offer clarification on this???
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-02-2016 01:37
I see you actually made a post last year Alex, but,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

Now, I don't have any of my materials handy to check a couple of things out and I'm not sure you have given us ALL of the needed information and I know you didn't give us all of the answer options so it is difficult to give you much of an answer.

Besides, since he teaches the seminar for prospective CWI's, Al is probably the best resource to answer your question. 

A couple of points though, as the principles for D1.1 will largely apply and you are dealing with plate and I believe the specs for the bend tests are pretty much in line with D1.1, (Don't worry, I know the Part B IS NOT D1.1, JUST FOLLOW ME HERE)  any material thickness over 3/8" will have to be bent with side bends and not face and root as the die will not accommodate anything over 3/8" through thickness.  3/8" can go either way but anything thicker MUST be side bends.  Process doesn't play into it in all actuality. 

So, you have not told us what process was actually used for this question.  We have no coupon sizes upon which to attribute a response.  I don't think you told us what the material grade was. 

I'm at an impasse here until I can check and see what your specs are for the question and see what all of the qualifiers are to be used in determining an answer.

Brent
Parent - By AlexAnd1104 Date 06-02-2016 04:48
Hi Brent,

Thanks for the response.

As far as the process, coupon size, and material grade, I looked in the list of questions and didn't see any of that listed, which is probably why I was thrown off.

Here is the question in it's entirety:

"Evaluation of guided bends is a part of a welding procedure qualification. The following apply:
- qualification is from a plate 7/16" thick,
- welded in the vertical position,
- with an uphill progression.

a. the bends not the correct type for the procedure that is being qualified
b. the bends are not the correct width for the procedure that is being qualified
c. the bends do not meet the acceptance criteria per the AWS Book of Specifications
d. porosity on the convex surface does not apply if it does not exceed 1/32" in depth
e. B and C – CORRECT ANSWER"
Parent - - By AlexAnd1104 Date 06-02-2016 04:54
The only explanation I can think of is that this question is supposed to have actual samples in front of us, but I don't see any indication on the list of questions that this is so.

I'm guessing there's no "right" way to answer to this without at least knowing the process, coupon size, and material grade??

Also, on your point about bends for thk above 3/8," I did see that stated in the Book of Specs:
5.3.1.(2)(b)
– for 3/8" to 3/4" inclusive, side bends may be substituted for face and root bends
– for over 3/4" thk, side bends required
– for 3/8" thk and above, side bends required for GMAW-S

A.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-02-2016 05:29
Just a guess,

many of the sample questions, and questions on the exam, are grouped under one heading and explanation.  Then, as you go to individual questions under a particular heading, there is more specific info for that question. 

Any chance there is a group heading back a little that fills in some gaps?

Brent
Parent - By AlexAnd1104 Date 06-05-2016 22:05
Brent,

You are correct; there was a group heading.

The questions I had were just thrown into a word document, but I went digging and found actual source packet.

They are under a section called "Guided Bend Specimens," so they were in fact meant to have real samples in front of the test taker.

Still, this was a blessing in disguise; I now know how to start the question. Before, I didn't even know which information I was missing.

Thank you for your help, sir!
- - By Raven007 Date 09-10-2016 16:02
Is there a practice test for the Part B Book of Specifications (January 1, 2016) if so how can I get a copy.
Thanks for the help
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-11-2016 02:40
You can get a copy by going to the seminar before taking the exam.

Brent
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / New Part B Spec Book - practice question