Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Minimum Qualification
- - By satya123 Date 06-07-2016 15:21
Can Any one tell explain my doubt,

I have completed diploma in mechanical engineering, later I placed in Campus. Now I have four years experience in HVAC and Firefighting field.

Am I eligible to do CWI course??? Because I have done diploma after 10th only. only 10+3 and experience.

Thank You all.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-08-2016 02:39
Anyone can attend the CWI seminar offered by AWS. However, if one would like to become a CWI, one must have the necessary relevant experience in welding. The relevant experience could include designing welds, fabricating (layout, welding, etc.), erection, inspection etc. If the experience has nothing to do with welding, i.e., inspecting glass bottles, it is not relevant and will not be considered relevant.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By satya123 Date 06-09-2016 08:47
Thank you
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-08-2016 04:27
As Al pointed out, some experience is relevant and some is not (kinda like MT indications). 

In the field of HVAC, one could have welding experience or not even close.  And Firefighting?  Are you installing sprinkler systems or wearing a uniform and pulling hoses?  One would be relevant, the other not.

Brent
Parent - - By satya123 Date 06-09-2016 08:45
Thank u,
I am installing sprinkler and stand pipe system, I have familiar with welding as we have to install pump room and main headers where we only find big welding from Pump room to main headers , risers after that it is only small diameter pipes for sprinkler branches.

We use GI pipes heavy grade -C.

Thank you once again.

Regards,
Satya
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-10-2016 00:58
As long as you are involved with the welding and installation, the experience is relevant and will most likely be acceptable and count toward the work experience required.

Al
Parent - By satya123 Date 06-11-2016 14:40
Thank you.
- - By mwmw (**) Date 06-12-2016 21:07
If you are even in the same building where welding is taking place some will use that as experience:confused:. ...those are usually the ones that complain the seminar/exam is a rip off ,etc.  I think someone who truly doesnt have the min exp is going to struggle in the exam
Parent - By HJLBX Date 06-12-2016 22:41 Edited 06-12-2016 23:04
A lot of the experience that qualifies a person to sit for the exam does not prepare the applicant to pass the exam.

For example, NDT technicians that inspect welds using only MT, PT, RT, UT - even though their experience will qualify them to sit for the exam - they will not pass the exam without extensive study.

The vast majority of NDT technicians never even see a governing code book (it is the supervisor or project manager that reviews the code).  NDT technicians are only given the inspection firm's written inspection procedure. 

And, of course, NDT technicians never have to write or review WPSs, PQRs, WPQRs, administer qualification tests, etc, etc.

Even a lot of the quality control inspectors that work at structural steel fabricating firms are not prepared to pass the exam.  It is because their job function might be limited to layout and fabrication inspection only -- with a small amount of weld inspection.  And they may never have to do any of the required paperwork, etc.

The onus is completely on the applicant to prepare themselves to pass the exam...

It's only through repeated review of a lot of material (at the least) or repeatedly performing inspections to a code, preparing & reviewing documents, administering WQTs, etc, etc - that really prepares one to pass the exam.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Minimum Qualification