Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI Test, Scientific Notation Formatting of Answers.....
- - By MrToday77 Date 06-09-2016 20:36
Gearing up for my up coming test, I was doing some sample questions from a Fundamentals WIT Workbook Dated 1999 (Third Edition).  Ran across this:

Using the appropriate conversion faction from the chart on page 40, determine the approximate pounds per square in. (psi) for a yield strength of 198 MPa.
a.     2.871 x 103 psi
b.     2.871 x 104 psi
c.     4,136 psi
d.     41.36 psi
e.     2,871 psi

My question is; Can I expect to see Scientific Notation without a superscript on the test?  This was confusing while studying and I would like to know if I should be on the look out for this type of formatting in the answer choices.
Parent - By HJLBX Date 06-10-2016 12:47 Edited 06-10-2016 18:28
The WIT and WIT Workbooks (including the questions and answers) are rife with errors -- especially the older ones.  Even the most recent WIT has quite a few errors...

Plus, some of the information in the earlier 1999 WIT is obsolete and\or no longer covered in the later edition of the WIT.  For example, the rounding of numbers convention has changed and significant figures are not covered in the most recent WIT text.

The correct answer -- using AWS' more recent rounding convention -- is 28,700 psi (which isn't in the list of answers to the question; 28,717 psi rounded to 3 significant digits).

Theoretically, the exam can ask a question on any topic -- drawn from any of the sources listed in the Body of Knowledge (both required and suggested readings).

Practically, however, on Part A I think they keep things mostly basic.  So, if you learn what is in the WIT you should pass Part A.  You should learn the diagrams\photos - two notable ones are welding processes and discontinuity radiographs - to the extent that you can identify the process and the type of discontinuity from the diagrams\photos alone.

I would make sure that you understand scientific notation and how to perform calculations.  It's important enough that it is covered in both the WIT book and the on-line training.  You might have a question or two that require you to make conversions using scientific notation or answers that are given in scientific notation only or given in non-scientific notation only.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI Test, Scientific Notation Formatting of Answers.....