Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / welder performance, range AWS D 1.1
- - By EL SUICIDA Date 06-11-2016 17:23
Good morning everyone and thanks x accept in this great community, I tell them I'm from Argentina and my name is Rolando ..... I have some doubts ..... d aws note that in section 1.1 in the qualification of welders in input variables only have numbers "F" for SMAW electrodes ... which leads me doubt when qualified with GMAW or GTAW. to put in scope qualified ?? .... in ASME IX would be a "f 6" but can not find how to frame it.
Greetings and thanks
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-12-2016 01:27
F numbers were developed to categorize SMAW electrodes based on ease of use. F1 required minimal skills to deposit an acceptable weld, while F4 required considerable skills on the welder's part. One must remember the low hydrogen electrodes of the day did require a good deal of skill. Meanwhile, F6 included all bare rod and electrodes for welding ferrous metals using other welding processes that were for the most part developed after the F numbers for SMAW were developed.

Al
Parent - - By kcd616 (***) Date 06-12-2016 06:42
Al,
lo-hy still takes alot of skill to run correct
not as tough as xxx10 root pass on pipe
but still tough and needs alot of skill
and root pass on pipe with GTAW, talk about skill
then try OFW on pipe
OMG the old days, DAMN I miss them
and thank god for new processes:wink::smile:
just IMHO
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 06-12-2016 16:27
btw
forgot stainless SMAW any pass, root being the toughest
then we have Aluminum SMAW there is a real tough one, not even adding in pre-heat and post-heat
the old days, when you separted the real welders from hack rod burners
just my thoughts, and IMHO
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - - By EL SUICIDA Date 06-12-2016 23:55
I agree, but it would be nice if I qualify a welder GMAW with ER 70 S6, and the record of the qualification indicate that you are qualified for the F6? or just ER 70 S6 is indicated as range?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-13-2016 09:17
The "work around" is to list the range of electrodes qualified by the filler metal specification, i.e., AWS A5.18 and A5.28.

Al
Parent - By EL SUICIDA Date 06-14-2016 03:07
THANK YOU!!!
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / welder performance, range AWS D 1.1