Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Not in the industry, need advice in regards to 798.
- - By SuperdutyDAN Date 06-14-2016 16:13
Hello all, I was hoping that I could get some solid advice from this forum. Let me start out by thanking you all for taking the time to read this and any advice offered.

I'm a 34 year old male living in Cincinnati, Ohio. I was an electrician for about 10 years and have since switched gears into an office job at an RV dealership. I'm at the point where I miss working on a job but need financial security. I have talked with a few guys who pipeline that pass through my dealership, and I have to be honest it sounds amazing.

I have a young family I am supporting and I'm just trying to gather as much information as I can, so that I don't make a huge mistake by being uninformed. If anyone can touch base on the work home aspect that would also be very helpful.

So that leads me to thinking about trying to make the switch. I have so many questions I don't know where to start. I'll list some below, so if I get rambling please bear with me.

I have always felt like learning things from the ground up is the best practice, Is there a helper or apprentice role I could get hired for ?

What could I expect my pay to be like if so ?

How much work Could I realistically expect to get in that position ?

Is it year round work ?

Can you judge how the future of pipelining will be ?

Am I to old to be a helper or apprentice ?

How would I progress to a higher level ?

I'm sure that I will have more questions, but thank you for letting me ask these for now.

Dan.
Parent - By BABRTs973 (*) Date 06-16-2016 17:54
Start here
https://www.local798.org/
Pipelining or being a boilermaker is a lifestyle more than a job. You are always traveling. I know that sounds "romantic" but it gets old. I don't want to paint everyone with a broad brush but I did it for 17 years. The people who do this are different. The ones I have known through the years and are really good at it either have alcohol, drugs or women issues. Or are in either recovery or denial. To leave the house for 6-8 months takes someone different. It may be something you will be good at, but you will know really quick. At your age and no construction skills such as welding or operating getting someone to take you under their wing will be hard. The union has a training program, but the list stays full.
Good luck but you better do some soul searching. This is not for the faint of heart.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Not in the industry, need advice in regards to 798.