Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / codebook exam
- - By KenK (*) Date 06-21-2016 18:05
getting ready to take cwi exam in july and have heard you can write topics and page numbers in the front cover of your codebook for things you might see on theexam is this correct
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-21-2016 22:27 Edited 06-21-2016 22:29
You can make any notes you want, do any highlighting or underlining, anywhere in your codebook PRIOR TO THE EXAM.

DON'T write in your book DURING the exam, it will get you expelled. 

July, are you going to Scottsdale (Phoenix), AZ? 

You can also tab any page you think is applicable.  They will give you some suggestions during the seminar.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for starting your own thread.

Brent
Parent - - By mwmw (**) Date 06-22-2016 03:11
Brent if i remember correctly you can only write in the code book in pen correct? not pencil? Or was it the other way around?

Definitely highlight, underline and tab anything pertinent. My code book actually looked like a Christmas tree i had so many colors of highlighter. Used one for Proced Qual, 1 for welder qual, 1 for NDT qualif, etc, etc but it worked very well for myself
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-22-2016 04:26
I don't remember that being in any of our instructions but it makes sense in application as you can easily prove you didn't just do it during the exam since a pencil is all you will have available at that time.

Marking, notes, underlining in ink sounds like a sound idea.

Many people tab and mark way too much and then only get confused during a timed exam.  Your plan sounds good but one would still want to use caution to not overdo it.

Brent
Parent - By KenK (*) Date 06-22-2016 15:02
thank you for your response . I am taking the seminar and exam in Cleveland starting the tenth. Wish me luck it's been a long 4 months of studying
- - By KenK (*) Date 06-22-2016 15:05
If you will indulge me one more question I would like to know if there is a current version of the visual inspection workshop. I didn't receive one with my books and have been using an old one based on the former part b.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-22-2016 22:34
I need to look at my books at home to see what the dates are on them, but I thought it was a new edition.  Would be more than a little difficult to go through the new material with an old work book.

Brent
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-22-2016 22:35
You know what, a lot of the Part B was done from materials presented on an overhead projector by the seminar instructor.  They may have moved so fast to get everything going that they don't have the new work book published yet.

Brent
Parent - - By mwmw (**) Date 06-23-2016 01:54
When i took the seminar the instructor did not use the Visual Inpection Workshop workbook. It was all prom Overhead and hands on.
To be honest  i dont think the old Visual inspection workbook would help you much with the new Part B ~ You would be better off studying the Book of Specs and WPS'/PQRs
Parent - - By KenK (*) Date 06-23-2016 12:17
Thank you for your time answering my question. Some of the information will still be useful with the new one and I am studying the new part b so I will be familiar with its format. I am hoping 30 years in the fab industry will help with the general questions. A great deal of the information was also covered in the online courses and in the WIT.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-23-2016 16:22
There's been plenty written on the subjects of how to tab and highlight the code books. Everyone has their own idea on the subject, most are pretty good. My recommendations are:

Tab the main clause and use an abbreviation for the clause, i.e., 1-Gen, 2-Design, 3-Prequal, 4-Qual, etc. Real estate is at a premium, so don't waste it. Rotate the colors, red, blue, green, etc. for each clause.

Tab the first page of the tables and figures right behind the tab for the clause. Use the same color as the tab for the clause.

Highlight EVERY footnote and write the letter right beside the highlight so you can't miss it. If there is a footnote, that's where the answer is found!

Clause 4 - Qualification; there are several tables for procedure qualification and several for welder qualification. They are easy to mix up when one is in a hurry (can you say EXAM?). Make a BIG letter P in the middle of each table that addresses Procedure Qualification. Make a BIG letter W in the middle of the table that addresses Welder Performance Qualification. Use a yellow highlighter, make the letters big so they cannot be missed.

In each clause that references another clause or table, underline the clause and write the page where it is found in the margin of the code. I call those forwarding addresses.

I prefer underlining using red or green gel pens over highlighters. I find the highlighter too distracting. Only underline key words or phrases. There are only a few instances where it makes sense to underline an entire sentence.

I use "Notes to Self" in the margins to draw my attention to a subject. For example, in clause 5 Fabrication I wrote the note "Fitup" right next to the clause titled "Tolerances". I also wrote a note in the margin where the geometry for a back gouge is addressed and the repair of root openings that are excessive.

In clause 2 Design I wrote notes in the margin for "Design Drawings" and "Shop Drawings" to differentiate what information must be provided by each.

In clause 3 I place paper clips on the pages listing the metric prequalified details so time isn't wasted looking at them by accident.

I placed a paper clip (I should use a tab) for the glossary found in the Annex.

Add key word to the index if they are not already included. Example "F-numbers".

Hope that is helpful.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By KenK (*) Date 06-23-2016 18:56
Thank you for the thoughts on tabbing as I am going to retab my book now that I have worked with it for awhile and may borrow a few of your ideas although we have very similar setups already.
Parent - By peterj357 (*) Date 06-23-2016 22:30 Edited 06-23-2016 22:36
This tabbing method has been helpful for me.  I used larger tabs for each of the clause's, and smaller tabs of the same color for particular pages I referenced a lot within that clause.  Like Al said, the real estate on the tabs is limited so use abbreviations or key words to help you see what each tab is.
Attachment: codebooktab2.jpg (131k)
Attachment: codebooktab-1.jpg (130k)
- - By KenK (*) Date 07-07-2016 16:00
With regards to my question about  practice questions for part B I just received home work questions to be completed before attending seminar. Seems to be geared towards getting you used to using the new book of specifications and becoming familiar with it's layout.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-07-2016 21:22
Absolutely true and accurate statement. 

Did they send you the new Book of Exhibits as well? 

Brent
Parent - - By KenK (*) Date 07-08-2016 17:49
I had a download for it sent too already had it but printed a second copy to be safe. Handy timing considering I start seminar on sunday.  At least I got a few days with it before I went.
Parent - - By TheNumber8 (*) Date 07-14-2016 16:50
Is a sample available from AWS in regards to the Book of Exhibits?
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-14-2016 22:59
'A Sample'?  They send it to you prior to the seminar so you can begin study and you need it at the seminar for study.  I don't think it is available for just anyone though, you must be registered and signed up for a seminar and exam.

But, remember, the molds, Part B Book of Specs and Book of Exhibits are different between the seminar and the exam so you can't be ready for the exam by memorizing answers from the study material. 

People wanted to tab their new Part B books because of the new layout that makes it more like an actual code book, but, it would not help because that is not the book you test to. 

Brent
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-15-2016 02:18
If I remember correctly, one gets a copy of the Book of Specifications when they register for the VIT workshop. The Book of Specifications is the same as that used for the examination. The Book of Exhibits is distributed in class on Thursday and it differs from the Book of Exhibits used for the actual part B examination.

Al
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-15-2016 04:11
Yep, as usual Al is more correct than I am.  At least, it looks like what I remember when I sat through everything for the seminar in March and then proctored the exam on Saturday. 

Brent
- By KenK (*) Date 07-19-2016 12:30
Well seminar is over and tests are taken now the wait begins. As usual you all were correct a sample book of exhibits was given to us on Thursday it was similar but not exactly what we used for the exam. Book of specifications was however the same as we downloaded but we were given a new copy to test with so familiarity was very important. The instructor we had Paul Cameron was very well versed in the subject matter and very accommodating with respect to extra help and arriving early so we could ask questions before class started. You got the feeling that he wanted all of us to have the best chance possible to pass the exam. Time will tell if he was successful with me. Thank you all for answering my questions as best you could through this process.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / codebook exam