Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Regarding STT welding
- - By K.A.Pradeep Date 06-26-2016 06:48
Dear sir,
in our new project client recomended us to do the STT process for the root welding of 42' pipes
my questin is this process is faster than other process and please advise me the Mix gas %.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-26-2016 14:06
Do you know what the STT process is referring to? 

I ask so we know where to even begin this conversation.

Brent
Parent - By Steelslinger (**) Date 06-27-2016 12:33
I believe he is talking about Surface Tension Transfer, which looks to be a variation of GMAW. (I had to google it)

If the promotional videos are to be believed, looks pretty slick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TzQRLtyRmM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-07DNYhKNY8

Adam
- Shop QC/CWI/NDT
Parent - By Steelslinger (**) Date 06-27-2016 12:30
No experience with it personally, but from what I have seen in the promotional videos, it looks like its the way to go if you can afford the hardware capable.

As far as gas mix and other specs, best to chat with your hardware rep or LWS rep.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 06-27-2016 13:30
STT (surface tension transfer-Lincoln) RMD (regulated metal deposition-Miller) and CMT (cold metal transfer-Fronius) are all pulsed short circuiting transfer mode GMAW welds.  All are typically used for open root of pipes for CJP with no backing welded from one side.

STT is faster than GTAW or SMAW for open root welded from one side without backing.

STT can be used with many different gas mixes... From Co2 100%  to 75/25 Ar/Co2 to 90/10 Ar/Co2...   The gas selection depends on many variables... Required impact values, the choice of fill passes and more.

What process will you be using for your fill and cap passes?   Will you be using multiple torches for GMAW/FCAW  or will your fill passes be SAW?

STT is being used more and more as an alternative to SMAW and GTAW for root passes.  But you really need to say more about the project....  

It sounds like you need the help of a professional consultant to help you prepare your procedures at least for this first project.

Even the best responses you get here will not be sufficient to guide you through a pipe or pressure vessel PQR regimen.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 06-28-2016 10:47
If all you are doing is standard carbon steel (or even other non austenitic materials) STT is a waste of money. And I would have to disagree with Lawrence on productivity of processes. The Huggard GTAW method for open root roll out welds is significantly faster than either GMAW or STT.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 06-28-2016 11:41
Js55,

Please say more.

I did a quick search on "Huggard method" and found the name of a Kobelco engineer..  But nothing about the method.

Is it similar to "Tip-tig" ??

My thinking was along the lines of a production set-up for large diameter pipe, where the same gun, wire and gas could be used for the root pass and successive passes without any change-out of guns or consumables, vs a manual operator walking the cup and then transitioning to another process, (GMAW, FCAW, SAW)...

I like the idea of a better alternative.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 06-28-2016 12:27
Jeff Huggard was a welding engineer with Pipe Fab many years ago and he developed what has since been called a downhill method of GTAW for roll out welds. We adopted it at a plant I worked at in California. It has a couple of significant advantages over GMAW. First of all the travel speed can be performed much quicker. Tacks do not have to be ground they can be blended, and therefore the process of welding the root does not have to be stopped.
The disadvantage is welder fatigue. It is obviously much easier to simply stick a gun in a groove and relax than it is to crank your arm and feed the wire.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 06-28-2016 12:30
And the thing is if you are trying to save time by using the same gun for fill and caps subsequent to the root you are losing productivity with GMAW as opposed to using say, FCAW. It takes maybe 5 seconds to switch guns.
- By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-27-2016 22:23
You guys spoil all my fun.. I was trying to see if he even knew what he was asking about. 

Oh well.  There you have it from one of the best.

Brent
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Regarding STT welding