Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Good Auto-Darkening Welding Helmets?
- - By cholme Date 04-23-2003 00:38
I am looking for a good Auto-darkening helmet. I actually currently have a Jackson auto helmet that he guy at the store told me is the best. I am using it with a TIG at about 130 amps. The problem I am having is that in the middle of welding the shade lightens up and as you can imagine it is quite a shock. I don't know if this is unique to Jackson, i have had two different shades and they both do it. If anyone has any suggestions or solutions please let me know.

Thanks
Parent - By Wildturkey (**) Date 04-23-2003 12:19
the lens should never lighten during welding.......although if you are in some hard to reach areas you may be covering the sensors.......mine has 2 round sensors at the top of the lense about 3/16" diameter (huntsman).....if the light gets obstructed from these sensors it will lighten
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-23-2003 14:43
Remember to set the "sensitivity" and the "delay" so that it does not flash back on you. You will want to increase both of those settings to achieve greater sensitivity (to make it flash over dark) and more delay (in case the light gets obstructed for a second from the sensor) it will keep it dark until the light reaches the sensor again.
I had ran into this same thing when welding outside in the sun/shade and having it flash back and forth is a pain.
Hope this helps,
John Wright
PS. The light from the process you are using is not as intense as other processes with higher amperages and it's hard for the sensor to figure out what to do. Also keep the sensor clean from welding smoke.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-23-2003 14:49
Also check your batteries! Autoshade helments will fail in the darkened state to save your eyes. I purchased the Jackson because of the price and it will fail in the light state and you'll have to stop welding until you can get it corrected unlike the more expensive Autoshade. I still like the Jackson, it does all I need it to do. Just have to keep a set of batteries handy.
John Wright
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-24-2003 19:20
I gave mis-info again and realized it after reading 49's post. Please replace the word "Autoshade" with "Speedglas" in my post.
Thanks,
John Wright
Parent - - By boilermaker (**) Date 05-18-2003 16:35
John, in repsonse to the failure in the light state for autodarkening hoods to protect your eyes, all autodarkening hoods provide the UV-IR protection...sure you're going to see a little bit of sunspots for a second or two, but it isn't like you're going blind...matter of fact all of my speedglas hoods ,when the batteries go dead the hood goes to the darkest shade, so you can still use it, but what's the point if you have to shake the hood down? Might as well use a old tigerhood or huntsman slider!
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-19-2003 11:13
I couldn't speak for the Autoshade shield as I've not used that one, so figured I'd better clarify the brand that I've experienced. Yeah, I agree the shield still gives some protection even in the lighter state. Some find the thing flashing over, annoying. I just get mine adjusted so it doesn't do all that and I had no problems with the Jackson. I checked on the price of the Speedglas 9000v and found the price has come down and it is now $10 bucks cheaper than the Jackson Executive Variable. At the time I was purchasing one, the price was alot further apart with the Speedglas being the more expensive. I still love these shields and I do recommend them to anyone in the market for one. I still have to use an old style shield from time to time and it just makes me appreciate technology more.
Have a great day,
John Wright
Parent - - By 49DegreesNorth (**) Date 04-24-2003 18:45

I have found that when TIG welding you have to set the sensitivity very high such that the helmet will tend to darken accidentally when you look away from your work, etc. Set the sensitivity while positioned the way you will be when welding. Also, blocking the sensors, as others mentioned, can be an issue. If the helmet has an auto-sensor feature (supposed to self-adjust for sunlight or something) shut it off.

I have been using a Speedglass (their one with adjustable darkening level, as TIG really needs a DARK glass -- like 11 or more, I think -- and the regular autodarkening hemets don't get dark enough).

Chris
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-24-2003 19:37
The Jackson should go as dark as shade 14 and as light as shade 9, at least mine does. I looked at the Speedglas, and intended to purchase one, but the guys at the Welding Supply shop asked me to try the Jackson free of charge before I purchase one to see if it was what I was looking for. It seemed to work fine, so he sold me the Jackson and I left the more expensive one on the shelf.
Just a note, I've tried some cheaper ones sold at farm supply shops and such, don't be fooled by the cheap price, I didn't like the quality or the electronics.
A guy gave me some info on auto-darkening shields and I told him I would pass the info on and here is the link if anyone is interested.
(I do not have any experience with this shield, test it out on your own) http://www.usaweld.com/product_page/welding_helmets/9013060M.html
John Wright
Parent - - By medicinehawk01 (**) Date 05-23-2003 03:34
I use a Speedglass 9000v which will adjust from a 9 shade to a 13. There are two level (one is for welding outside) and is really only good for stick or mig welding, but the other setting which has a sensitivity feature allows me to weld low amperage heli-arc (45-50 amps DCSP). When I adjust the sensitivity, I will look at a light near by and adjust it so I call see the light , but it won't darken......this usually works so when I am welding it darkens with no problems.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-23-2003 11:32
I like the electronics on the speedglas, but to get the same size window it was $100 bucks more for the Speedglas(9000X) over the Jackson with the big window. You can get the 9000V (small window) for about $10 bucks cheaper than the big window Jackson.

I told a fib up in an earlier post. My Jackson only has a shade adjustment of 9 - 12, not "9 - 14".
Just to clear that up,
John Wright
Parent - By solomanb Date 07-25-2003 06:09
Try an Optrel there made in Sweden I have had mine for 6 years with no problems at all.
Your northern cousin, Solomanb......
Parent - - By thepowerofblue (**) Date 07-25-2003 14:32
I had gotten a auto darkening helmet like a month ago cuz I stolen it from a friend i didn't like and it was one of those lincoln electric auto darkening helmets for about 139 dollars but it works good no problems with it but let me tell you something and this is for everybody who has or wants an autodarkening helmet.I really don't use it much because when you strike an arc more than 50 times a day or more often then that fraction of a second adds up and it may start to make your eyes feel itchy
Parent - By aircraft (**) Date 07-25-2003 16:25
Auto darkening helmet protects your eyes better than a regular helmet will even in light state. So much so that we equiped all of our welders with them to save money on our insurance.
Auto helmets protect your eyes to a shade 14 or 16 all of the time even if you have the helmet set to shade 9 or even in its light state.
Parent - By cbrxx Date 07-27-2003 01:15
I have a Jackson also, and when I use HF Tig it shuts off the helmet. The tint just slowly gets lighter until its off, then I have to take the helmet off and press the on button again. If I move the ground clamp it solves the problem and works fine.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Good Auto-Darkening Welding Helmets?