Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.1 vs. D1.3 When welding tubular structures
- - By Ron Duszynski Date 06-28-2016 12:12
My company is specing out a tubular roll cage where the wall thickness of the tubes is 0.095".  Am wondering what spec to use, D1.1 or D1.3, or how to relate the two specs together in our drawing notes.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 06-28-2016 12:58
I'm not sure either of those is a good fit...
D14.3 is not the best fit either, but at least it has considerations for ROPS (Roll Over Protective Systems).

Tim
Parent - - By Ron Duszynski Date 06-28-2016 15:10
It's not really a structural roll bar.  We call it a soft top support structure.  While it has some crush resistance, it is not designed for roll over protection.  Roll Bars was just a general description so others would understand the type of application...

Thanks Tim!
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 06-28-2016 17:13
D1.1 is for steel structures with material thickness 1/8" and greater.
D1.3 is for sheet steel, not tubes.
I don't know of an AWS design spec that would cover your project.
You could qualify your procedures and personnel to AWS B2.1.
Maybe there's an ISO spec that would cover the design?

Tim
- By 803056 (*****) Date 06-28-2016 22:11
Any of AWS' codes can be used whenever the owner or the manufacturer feels they are appropriate. It is only when the code has been incorporated into a legal statue or contract that one is obligated to meet the code that is referenced.

If one feels D1.1 is appropriate, even if it falls outside the thickness, alloy type, etc., it can be specified by the owner or used by the manufacturer.

One could adopt API 1104 if they chose to.

Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.1 vs. D1.3 When welding tubular structures