Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Shielding Gas
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-02-2016 13:12
Hello Friends and Neighbors;

Does anyone here know the actual composition of AirGas' StainMix 3?

My client is qualifying a WPS using StainMix 3, but I don't want to tie him to a specific supplier. My recommendation is not to use the StainMix 3 unless we can get the blend. That doesn't help him in the pinch he's in.

Thanks - Al
Parent - - By electrode (***) Date 07-02-2016 13:39
If not already revealed by yourself - according to this:

https://www.airgas.com/product/Gases/Industrial-Application-Gases/Shielding-%26-Industrial-Gas-Mixes/p/GG%20STAIN60

it should show 3% CO_2 with Argon as the remainder.

Regards!
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-02-2016 14:55
The link takes me to Gold Gas StainMix which as you note contains 3% carbon dioxide with 97% argon making up the balance. That is different from Airgas' StainMix 3 which contains argon, helium, and carbon dioxide.

Whereas the shielding gas is an essential variable, it is important to know exactly what the gas mix is. Propriety blends are good for the supplier, but they can be disastrous for the user if the supplier decides to discontinue marketing it because the margin is too slim or for some other business related reason.

I insist on listing the generic blend and if the supplier will not provide it, I go elsewhere for my shielding gas. Locking yourself to a single supplier is a stupid move in today’s business world. Companies are bought and sold like baseball cards on a grammar school playground. Suppliers come and go month by month.

There are worse things, but it is still no walk in the park to have some counter jockey give the welder the wrong gas mix with a comment like, “This is almost the same, it just has a slightly different mix.” The slightly different mix may well invalidate the WPS, PQR, and all the welding performed with the “incorrect gas.” Meanwhile the welder is left scratching his head and wondering why the welding machine is acting so peculiar.

Thanks for your help. It was well intended and I appreciate your effort. However, it reinforces my position that designating shielding gases by propriety brand names is bad business from the end user's prospective. The names maybe similar, but the gas blends may be very different.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By electrode (***) Date 07-02-2016 15:04
Al,

I understand ... and fully agree as when it comes to proprietary brand names.
Certainly this is not only aggravating with shielding gases but with advanced welding processes or its variants as well.
Particularly with GMAW; surely I'm not telling you anything new though.

Regarding your question, maybe this brings you closer to the exact composition:

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?134651-Which-Gas-for-Stainless-Steel-StainMix-3-or-Stargon-SS

Regards!
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 07-05-2016 13:13
Al,
I think you hit it dead on. Proprietary gases aren't 'really' proprietary in that gases are gases. The only reason for developing such 'proprietary' appearance is marketing, i.e., bullsh....... Stick with the generic percentages.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 07-06-2016 13:24
Sorry, been off line for a glorius week.

Just dropped a question to my Airgas Mole,

Will see what comes up and report
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-08-2016 00:56
Thanks for the info Lawrence.

Al
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 07-08-2016 09:00
You are always welcome Sir.
- By ludmil_1 Date 07-12-2016 12:07
Hello Friends
I use a shielding gas M11(95%Ar 3%CO2 2%H2) DIN EN ISO 14175 for welding of stainless steel(series 300).What could be the reason for the formation of pores.Welding FW seams of pulse, thickness is 3 and 6 mm .Is it possible gas supplier is not properly mixed gases, or purity of gas is not the norm.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Shielding Gas