Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Needing Responses from Members and Non-Members Using Forum
1 2 Previous Next  
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 08-04-2016 12:31
I am not a member, meaning I have not paid AWS for an ID etc. I do pay every 6 months to keep my multiple welder qualifications up to date/current. I have thought about it several times but when I have work/money I am holding onto it for the lean times. Sat for the last month of last year and first two and a half months this year, every dollar counted.

I have benefited from this site in the education department as I try to get here to lurk and learn. I have only met one member physically but have several members on my phone who I have talked with quite a bit. Either to ask questions or just to b.s. with about whatever. I have been on the forum since 2008 when I began my welding career. There are many members on here who I have the utmost respect for due to their vast knowledge. Members who I have seen come and go and some that have left us prematurely, sadly.

Having an all inclusive "members only" forum or site I think would go against what the AWS is or should be striving for. Excellence in welding. I tell young welders I meet to check out this site because welding is not just about plugging a rod into a rod holder. Welding is much more complex for those who wish to be welders and not "weldors" or rod burners. If AWS is wanting to promote excellence in welding restricting access to a forum loaded with individuals who have the same thoughts on welding would not be beneficial as an up and coming welder who wants to know code, procedures, metallurgy and do things the right way would not be able to access this site. They would be left to half wits on YouTube who may or may not be welders.

If this site was closed down to members only, requiring payment to participate I'll likely be one of those that goes. I highly doubt I would be missed as I have only been doing this for 8 years and my knowledge is not what I would consider vast as it is with others on this site. A contributing member on this site? I'm not one to offer my limited knowledge when there are so many others on here more qualified and experienced than I.

This site was booming when I first joined. I would see several online when I came here. Lately, it's tumble weeds. Closing down this site to members only and I believe that many will see this as a ploy by the AWS to "line pockets" rather than uphold a standard of welding excellence. Whether this is true or not I do not know but many I have talked to, in person, have voiced their opinion that AWS is turning into a money machine. A closed site and some would sign up and pay to be a member but how long would they stay that way? The internet is vast and there are many other sites out there where information can be found and members here are likely members there. Quite possibly AWS would be shooting themselves in the foot I do believe.

If the AWS is wanting to push welding excellence, knowledge, education in the welding industry closing this site to members only would be a disservice in my opinion. There have been people from other countries on here asking questions, young guys and gals looking at starting a career in welding, some currently in school for welding and closing this site to members only would not allow them to come to this site.

I have no power to sway the AWS in any way. The decision will likely be made by some corporate big wig or board of big wigs that will do whatever it is that will benefit themselves regardless of the benefits to young welders or up and coming would like to be welders who could learn from older more experienced folks on the site. I will wait and see what happens. If I come here one day and it tells me to log in and then says it cannot find my username as a member then I will know what happened.
- - By mwmw (**) Date 07-27-2016 01:23
Im betting 99% of the people that say they will not post here anymore or renew their memberships actually  WILL...seen it happen on many other forums and the core members always stay.  There is no place like home   :lol::grin::grin:
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-27-2016 02:10
Personally, I didn't say I was cancelling my personal membership, just my corporate Sustaining Company membership. 

It does bring lots of questions into play. 

Brent
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 07-27-2016 12:03
Well, I would not presume to be such a Nostradamus as you but speaking for myself, I will not be blackmailed into paying AWS dues. We will see won't we?  Heh, heh.
Parent - By Northweldor (***) Date 07-27-2016 14:00
Sounds like you and AWS management are using the same bookie!
However, there will be no more "home', no matter what you claim to have seen, since all outsiders will be gone.
- By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-27-2016 21:51
Part of the reason for me starting this thread was for myself as well as AWS to see how member vs non-member numbers compare.  It has always seemed to me that we have a very good number of non-members coming to the forum on a regular basis.  Then are the first timers who google a question and end up here for answers.  Still,  from responses here, there is a high number of non-member users.

Thanks everyone for your posts.  I appreciate it even if it makes no difference to Miami, Alfred, or the money counters.

Brent
- By americaniron (*) Date 08-04-2016 12:54
I am a member, I feel forum should remain open to everyone.  This forum needs to remain a clearinghouse for everyone in the welding world
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Needing Responses from Members and Non-Members Using Forum
1 2 Previous Next