Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Resistance welding 301LN multi layers
- - By kfluca1 Date 07-19-2016 12:44
I am looking for someone with experience in resistance welding SS 301 LN multi layer welding and testing. I would like to know what the recommended layer thickness would be for 4 layers total, 2 thicknesses at 1mm to 2 thicknesses at 3mm for overall thickness of 8mm. And, the test most effective for strength requirements. I have checked C1.1 and it doesn't appear to address this type of joint. What is the most effective testing procedure for this joint design?
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-19-2016 13:03
I just finished qualifying several procedures and the RW machine to D17.2. It is a rational basis for qualifying resistance welding. D17.2 is intended for aerospace applications and it has three quality levels that can be selected depending on the specific application. Qualification involves performing macros on several spot welds and a number of shear tests that are performed in a tensile testing machine.

With regards to the base metal, we qualified carbon steel and austenitic stainless steel between 26 gage and 16 gage.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Resistance welding 301LN multi layers