Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Is this weld call-out possible
- - By Toby12 Date 07-21-2016 19:50
can an all around be used with an other side symbol?
Attachment: othersideallaround.JPG (32k)
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 07-21-2016 20:07
Nope, that doesn't work.
The plate ends need their own symbol(s).

Tim
Parent - By In Tension (**) Date 07-21-2016 21:15
If this is plate to tubular, like a hub-to-web weldment, I don't see the problem.  Weld 'all around' the tubular arrow-side and other-side.  Is this the configuration depicted in the drawing?
- By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-21-2016 23:29
Assuming, yes, I used that word on purpose, that both members are plate material, then you would have a double bevel groove weld which achieves CJP parameters upon completion.  At which point you would add your reinforcing fillet weld.  There is where the question comes in as the CJP doesn't need an all around symbol. 

So, on the fillet welds, instead of extending up the flag poles for the added process they should have used the two reference line welding symbol with the fillet weld indicated only on one side of the reference line and then used the all around symbol. 

Can they use it like they did? ...Well, not technically correct but probably.  May be time for some clarification but to me all they are indicating is that the reinforcing fillet weld extends all the way around the plate. 

Engineers and detailers can do anything they want even when it is not correct per A2.4.  But, that leaves it up to the fitter, welder, and inspectors to make sure they have completed the weld to the expectations of the engineer.  Like I said, if you are hesitant, RFI.

Brent
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Is this weld call-out possible