Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / How do you prepare for x-ray weld
- - By Richy88 Date 04-25-2003 01:15
The company i work for has recently been having problems with x-ray failures.Just wondering what some of you guys use to clean your metal with.I blame some of the problems on grinding dust in the air,they have also went to a cheaper tungsten and i really dont think that acatone wich they use to clean the parts with works very well.The metel is hast x and is .035 to .045 thick and it is a butt weld design.

Parent - By Tim Buyle (**) Date 04-25-2003 11:26
If you are experiencing gas inclusion in Hastelloy X welds made by GTAW, here are some guidelines :

(1) cleaning of joint preparation before welding with M.E.K. (*)
M.E.K. = Methy Ethyl Ketone (safest, cheapest and best cleaner for nickel alloys ; acetone will leave a thin film/layer on the metal that will vaporise into the weld pool)
(2) use a new pair of welding gloves , remove dirt / oil / ...
(3) don't use weld markers etc. on the weld
(4) lower the welding current , at high current the pool gets overheated and will include gaz
(5) if you're using a watercooled torch : take a look if ther's a little leak from where water can vaporize into the shielding gas

Don't blame the tungsten ...
Watch out with grinding dust from other metals (rust, carbon, dirt, grease, oil, ...) it may cause porosity and cracks
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / How do you prepare for x-ray weld