Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / B2.1 2009 Tension Specimen
- - By dbrizor (*) Date 07-22-2016 12:35
I am taking some practice questions and got this one wrong.

Procedure qualification of a certain welding process calls for the SCWI to make a trip to the test lab to witness the required testing. A tensile test bar is found to with certain measurements. Which of the statements below will allow the lab to proceed with the testing?

Select one:
a. The W inch dimension on the outside extreme ends measured 0.650 inch and the center at the weld measured 0.650 inch Incorrect
b. The weld width was 1.0 inch wide and the reduced area identified as A inch measured 2 1/2 inch
c. The W inch dimension on the outside extreme ends measured 0.500 inch and the center at the weld measured 0.350 inch
d. The weld width was 1.25 inch wide and the reduced area identified as A inch measured 2 1/4 inch
e. The weld width was 1.0 inch wide and the reduced area identified as A inch measured 2 1/4 inch

I chose A. In my interpretation;

A=wrong-W (W dimension should be 3/4" or 1/2" per table)
B=Correct-per foot note 'd' (minimum 2-1/4 in)
C=wrong-per foot note 'd' (over 0.015")
D=Correct-per foot note 'd' (minimum 2-1/4 in)
E=Correct-per foot note 'd' (minimum 2-1/4 in)

What am I missing here? Trying to understand this in case it comes up in the actual exam.

Also, regarding Fig. B3.A footnote 3, "The ends shall not differ in width from the ends to the center, but the width at either end shall not be more than 0.015 in greater than the width at the center." Isn't this a conflict stating "shall not differ"?
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 07-22-2016 20:07
SO, your question above is missing some words... but assuming you're doing a rectangular reduced section tension specimen, I'd say that D and E are both correct, and therefore would allow the test to proceed.

Tim
Parent - By dbrizor (*) Date 07-27-2016 13:40
Thanks Tim. I agree.

Wouldn't "B" be acceptable since the figure call out 2-/14" minimum? (foot note d)
And also, looking back at answer "C", this appears to be acceptable as well based that it isn't more than 0.15" (foot note d)

What is your opinion?
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / B2.1 2009 Tension Specimen