Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Which Illinois Welding Apprenticeships should I seek...
- - By Akampe2 Date 07-27-2016 02:50
Which Illinois Welding Apprenticeships should I seek information for someone who may want to later down the line progress as a Shipyard welder. My fiance and I will be living within Illinois until I finished receiving my bachelors; we may stay, but if we do move to the coast, this is what we are looking for. I am almost done with my degree,so I can't transfer until I am ready to start my masters. Also, if he starts an apprenticeship, can he continue being an apprentice for the remaining years after we move, or would he have to start over? Should it be an apprentice through a union, and do people commonly transfer through the union to another state/position/"field"? Would anyone who has information be willing to post links on unions and locations? We have been trying to sort out what apprenticeships there are in Illinois, but all we have come up with are iron working and becoming an electrician. We're not sure what the right path is. Also, he has an associates in engineering, but decided to change paths. He doesn't want to spend anymore time in school, which is why we're looking for an apprenticeship. I am looking for various options, since it is not for me. Now for myself..welding terrifies me, so if you have any good information to help educate me into being less skeptical on the risks of welding, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-27-2016 12:56
Generally the individual joining an apprenticeship with a union must serve the entire apprenticeship with the local that accepted the applicant into their program. The applicant would join the union and serve the requisite classroom training and on-the-job training.

Since welding is a "tool of the trades", most union apprenticeship include welding as part of the training. If the individual is interested in welding, there are several trades that do a considerable amount of welding. The ironworkers, pipefitters, sheetmetal workers, and boilermakers trades involves welding as part of their apprenticeship programs. I would venture to say the sheetmetal workers have one of the best apprenticeship programs I know of. While apprenticeship programs vary from one location to another, most all have to meet certain requirements established by their union and the state.

It is not common to serve an apprenticeship with one trade and transfer into a different trade at a later time. I'm not saying it can't be done, but each trade has different skill sets that are needed in addition to the skills needed as a welder. Having said that, once welding skills have been attained, it does give one more mobility.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Jarhead1 (**) Date 08-01-2016 20:33
Not sure where you're at in Illinois...checkout.
http://www.pf597.org/ --------- http://www.ironworkers.org/training/welding-certification
Need to be fairly educated these days to pass the entrance exam for most trades in Chicago area. Then if you pass you get put on a list based on your score and as the saying goes "who do you know".
Are you a military veteran?

Good Luck!
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Which Illinois Welding Apprenticeships should I seek...