Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Api 1104 Aug 26 help!!!!!!!!!!!!
- - By 154welder Date 07-30-2016 00:55
I need a practice test, for the api 1104 and a study guide or suggestions.
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 07-31-2016 19:14
You can read it once a day 25 times before the test, right?
That's all I've ever done, is just read it a few times.
Don't fret it so much, it IS AFTER ALL an open book exam...
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-31-2016 21:21
Practice exams only aid in helping you get used to the layout of the codebook.  You can do that yourself by reading it, using it, or going through sample questions. 

There are sample exams available I believe on line by google searching.  There is also a practice book available through the bookstore that you will get when you sign up for the seminar and exam. 

Brent
Parent - - By TheNumber8 (*) Date 08-02-2016 20:24
Can a member of AWS purchase the practice exam or is it available only available for those who signed up for the AWS Seminar?

r/
David
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-02-2016 21:33
No, practice exams are only available at the seminar.  I'm not even sure they hand many out anymore.  With all the recent changes to the seminar and exam they were done on screen with a projector when I sat through the March seminar here in AZ.

Hang on, .... I need to look through the paperwork I brought home from that seminar, there may have been a practice exam handed out.  There were lots of practice questions and other things that were on the screen but there may be a new practice exam. 

I think I am confusing just practice questions with the practice exam.  Either way, they are an aid to learning how to interpret and negotiate the code book of choice.  You can do it yourself.  Though questions to find specific answers for are always a plus for me. 

Still, you can't buy the practice exams.  But the WIT book has a set of practice exam questions that can be purchased, some are in the Workbook companion to the WIT textbook.  But there used to be another book that was Practice Questions for the Fundamental Exam.  It had a great list of questions.  If you could get through that one an miss very few you were more than likely good to go for the Closed book General Knowledge exam.

I'll try to find the order number and proper name of that book.

There is also a Study guide available for the API 1104 code book; Order code: API-M.  And one for D1.1-2015: Code Clinic Study of AWS D1.1:2015;  Order code: CCRM.

And as of the bookstore Publications Catalog that came in today's mail you can get the full set of new weld replicas: $2400.  That's five times as much as I paid for the previous version of replicas.  WOW!! Must be made of gold instead of plastic. 

Brent
Parent - - By TheNumber8 (*) Date 08-03-2016 01:14
Thanks for the info Brent and I think I found what I can make work in the catalog I received today.    

That's right, I also looked at the new catalog that came in the mail today--actually only 20 minutes ago to be exact.  No doubt, I was shocked when I saw the 2400 dollar price tag on the new replica set.  To tell you the truth, I was guessing it would be in 500-700 range because the specimens are a little bigger and more complex.  I can assure everyone that they are not made of gold but I personally believe there is another motive behind this lofty price tag.  All in all, this is fine with me since I have personally constructed a deadly set of classroom specimens which blows anything else away than what I have seen so far. All wrapped up in a lengthy 32-hour Part-B/Visual Inspection Seminar.

One thing I tell my students---When test day comes I don't want them walking in preying they pass, I want them to walk in and say, I'm ready to be tested. 

r/
David
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-03-2016 10:43
"One thing I tell my students---When test day comes I don't want them walking in preying they pass, I want them to walk in and say, I'm ready to be tested."- #8

Right On! :cool:
Parent - By TheNumber8 (*) Date 08-03-2016 23:00
Thanks JWright
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-03-2016 21:54
David, and any other interested parties,

I have looked high and low, in the new publications catalog and on line at the bookstore and I can't find the third book in the WIT group; Welding Inspection Technology Sample CWI Fundamentals Examination.  It has 220 questions and is a great aid.  But, maybe they figured the Workbook had enough sample questions in it and weren't selling enough of these, I don't know. 

Anyway, I may try to get it copied to a drive and be able to send it out upon request.  I did say TRY.  Sometimes I get sidetracked with all the things I commit myself to.

Brent
Parent - By TheNumber8 (*) Date 08-03-2016 23:22
Brent,

Yes, what you are looking for is a mystery in itself--I believe the document number is WIT-E 2008.  I myself have tried looking for this document in the AWS realm without prevail.  However, I do have a hard copy of it that I obtained through viewing rights of my main employer and I give it to the guys at our worksite who are going for their CWI for supplemental material. Therefore, I cannot use it for my personal business as supplemental material. 

Words to the wise.  I would not recommend sending this document to anyone without explicit permission from AWS since it is copyrighted.  I am currently engaged with AWS to obtain rights to licensing of certain documents so I can use specific diagrams.
Parent - - By weldenginerd Date 11-14-2016 16:50
Where in the publications can you buy the replicas???? I can't find it.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-14-2016 20:17
Don't have the pub book with me.  Having trouble remembering where I found them on the website/bookstore.

Will try again later.
Parent - By jstnjstn Date 08-02-2016 18:46
Hello 154welder!
A good guide for me when testing over the API 1104 was to use "tabs" for the sections inside of the book, that way if I had a question regarding "Welder Qualification" I could just grab the tab and open it right up.

Other then that there are some resources you can find online using google.

I hope this helps!

Good luck,

Justin
Parent - - By Joey (***) Date 08-05-2016 01:59
Hello 154

I suggest you get familiar with the "Table of Contents". of API 1104. Understand the subject of the question during exam and then refer to the table of contents, find the page number and you'll find the exact answer on that page.

Tabbing the book is not necessary, that will makes you slow in finding the answers. Too much reading of the book may cause you to rely on your memory by not looking at the table of contents. That makes you slow also in finding the answers.

Open code book is the easiest among the 3 papers, just relax and don't panic if you can't immediately find the answer.

Do more practice by answering the sample questions given during the course.

Good luck!
Parent - - By 154welder Date 08-18-2016 03:39
thanx tommorrow is the firstday of code book the first three days of class were a ton of info but im making progresss. weldsymbols and alot of reading, well see tommorrow what the instructor has to offer they are really knowledgeable about the info.... hobart was the way to go...
Parent - By mwmw (**) Date 08-30-2016 02:16
I know someone who just went thru the 2 week Hobart course. They offered 1 day (not even a full day) on Part B training and from what i understood most bombed the exam. They have the new weld specimens and some training matl but it didnt sound like the instructors knew how to teachthe new Part b
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Api 1104 Aug 26 help!!!!!!!!!!!!