Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding school
- - By txwannabewelder Date 08-03-2016 18:07
Hello all,
I've decided that I want to become a professional welder. I've never welded before, except a few times in shop class.  I'm trying to narrow it down between these schools.

Hill College in Hillsboro, TX. It's very close to home (5 minutes). Everyone in town says they have a great welding program. Not sure what that's worth, though. They do not list the job placement stats either: "* This institution is not currently required to calculate a job placement rate for program completers."

Texas State Technical College in Waco. It's close to home as well, only 30 minutes away. They were in some news article about a graduate making $140k out of school. Heard good things about them as well from people in town.

Mitchell Technical Institute in South Dakota. Haven't found any reviews online. Talked to someone on reddit who had some family members go here, although not for welding, and they recommended it.

North Dakota State College of Science in Fargo North Dakota. This is what caught my eye about them: "NDSCS is an American Welding Society S.E.N.S.E. certified facility. AWS Level I and Level II certification is available. The NDSCS Welding program is an educational partner with Weld-Ed the National Center for Welding Education and Training... Graduates Registered: 46 Jobs Reported 60 Avg. Beginning Monthly Salary $3,445 High Monthly Salary $5,833 Placement Rate 98%

Lynnes Welding Training, Inc. - Fargo, ND. Haven't been able to find much about this school., but what really caught my eye was they have a Combination Welder class that's only 12 weeks. And you can choose to do downhill pipe welding or gas tungsten arc welding pipe instead of the uphill pipe. This would be my first choice, if it's really as good as they claim.

Has anyone here gone to any of these, or know anyone who has? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Parent - By WeldorJoe (*) Date 08-03-2016 18:44 Edited 08-03-2016 18:50
Great job researching!
We also at NDSCS, have our main campus in Wahpeton, ND.
Unique because you can go to school, work, live in dorms, all in a college atmosphere.
We offer an AAS Degree at both locations.
Look at my profile and PM me for more information.
Joel
Parent - By Blaster (***) Date 08-03-2016 18:52
A good bet is to go around the local trade union officers, and major regional employers and ask for their thoughts on the best place to go to school.  They frequently will have some pretty strong opinions on this based on previous experiences with the product of the area schools.

As far as course length, quality equal, there is no substitute for hours when it comes to technical skill, knowledge, and attitude building.  A more thorough program will necessarily contain more hours - that is not a bad thing.
Parent - - By kcd616 (***) Date 08-04-2016 01:06 Edited 08-04-2016 01:11
C.C. great learning
Allan in Washington was great
Lawrence is the best, waiting for his answer
major college
Ohio state
go this semester
MVCC in Utica, Ny
I will be there
have a welding , thai chi and yoga classes
love coeds in yoga pants:evil::twisted::wink::cool:
then you can hear me tell you to your face you will
NEVER be a real welder:razz::twisted::evil::eek::wink::roll:
so your choice
question???????????????
you want to learn everything about welding???????????
or just be a rod burner???????
learn from Lawrence
he knows almost every thing
a little short on knowledge for Aluminum tig:razz::twisted::eek::evil::wink:
but learn more than welding
but learn fitting, lay out, distortion, metallurgy
so much to learn
good luck
my best to you
came to the right place at the moment to ask this question
sincerely,
Kent
btw: Lincoln electric in Ohio is great:cool::grin::smile:
Karl Hoes is a good man
so is Charlie Larichie
and Frank, Duane know a little bit:razz::twisted::evil:
Parent - - By americaniron (*) Date 08-04-2016 12:59
You must visit each of them to get the feel for each school.  There is more to a school than what you research online. 12 week program is to short unless you have skills before you start.
Parent - By lunalee Date 08-09-2016 19:35
Good advice! Thank you so much!
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-04-2016 15:19
So much depends on what kind of welding and what kind of life you are interested in living.

Naturally, where you live oil and gas are major employers, but most (not all) of that kind of work requires both travel and a very high level of skill.   You are also not far from Houston, Dallas, Austin.. All of which are booming with manufacturing work.

Do you want to live on the road?

Do you want a steady job where you can be home every night?

Do you have any idea about which welding processes you prefer?   Each process can take a good bit of time to master for a beginner.... Once you have some skills and experience, picking up processes will come much faster.

Say more about your own story, desires and goals and the guys will be able to share a ton of advice.

Shorter courses, if they are full-time and really teach well, can sometimes lead to very good jobs... Especially if the school has a partnership with employers... Some do some don't.

Tech colleges may offer day or evening courses that might let you sample a variety of processes... Not really providing depth at first, but able to help you decide which processes you prefer, and from that point you can go deeper...   Much depends on your timeframe and your wallet :)
Parent - - By Trackergd (**) Date 08-05-2016 11:32
I agree.

I can't find real quality aluminum TIG and MIG welders in this neck of the woods.   They are all working for Bass Pro making boats....:razz:
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-05-2016 12:13
Grow your own man!

It's cheap and easy :)
Parent - - By kcd616 (***) Date 08-05-2016 12:35
Lawrence
that used to be the test for aluminum GTAW
in the 1970' and 80's
but with beer cans
a 6 pack of 16 oz
60 minutes to weld them together
oh had to drink the beer also:eek:
the last 2 were tough
weld it and hold your pee or pee and rush the weld to finish:evil::twisted:
ah the old days
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-05-2016 12:53
Funny story:

I was discharged from the Navy in 88, with about 2 weeks notice after an extension to my enlistment was canceled.  So needed a job and quick..   Went to a weld/machine shop and knocked on the door looking for work.   The owner said; "sure come in kid and warm up with stuff in the scrap bucket while I put your weld test together"

The scrap bucket had beer cans in it.   So I welded two of them together while waiting for him to shear the coupons.   When he came back and saw the cans he threw the coupons on the floor and said; "get to work boy, and make me a few more of those can things"

It was a short lived gig, but it's funny what will do the trick sometimes :)
Parent - By Trackergd (**) Date 08-05-2016 13:01
:eek:

I made a color copy of this...taking down to the weld shop now....  :twisted:
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding school