Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / AWS Committees Agendas and Minutes
- - By MBSims (****) Date 08-04-2016 23:06
Anyone know if AWS Technical Committee agendas and minutes are available to AWS members (non-committee members)? I can't find any links to them on the AWS website. If they are not available to members, why not? Aren't our membership dues funding the committee meetings, or is their cost totally recovered by the publication revenues?
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-04-2016 23:33
Technical Committee members are volunteers and pay for all travel, time off, hotels, etc out of their own pocket unless they work for a company that is large enough and has a vested interest in having a representative on the committees so pays their way for meetings. 

No, membership dues are not paying for the meetings.  Our dues cover member services. 

Are minutes available to members?  I'm not sure about that one.  Maybe Lawrence, Al or some of the others currently serving on committees can better answer that.

Brent
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 08-04-2016 23:37
I thought the AWS staff support, printing cost for agendas, meeting rooms, etc. were funded by AWS. I understand that committee members are volunteers, but there are other costs.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-04-2016 23:50
Agreed, but I'm pretty sure our dues don't pay those costs.  Again, hopefully one of the guys serving on a committee will chime in.

Brent
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-04-2016 23:52
Been looking through the Website, did you try doing a search?  'Technical Committee meeting minutes' turned up quite a list I haven't been able to get through yet.  I'm not sure it has what you may be looking for. 

BTW, can you tell me more specifically what you are looking for?

Brent
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-05-2016 03:07
I believe one must be on the committee to have access to the minutes of the meetings. While many of the committee meetings are open to the public, there are executive sessions that are not open to the public.

AWS does not coordinate or pay for many of the meetings held at the subcommittee level. The committees usually try to meet somewhere that allows to us to use their facilities without cost. However, travel, lodging, and meals are paid for the individual committee members. AWS does not charge the main committee for meeting rooms held at headquarters, they usually have coffee brewing and they send out for sandwiches for lunch.

Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / AWS Committees Agendas and Minutes