Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Purging formula
- - By patriot (*) Date 08-05-2016 02:16
Does anyone have a formula for Argon purging stainless steel piping?  I'm looking for a simple method of calculating purge flow rates and purge time for a given diameter and length of pipe.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-05-2016 03:10 Edited 08-05-2016 14:43
I displace the volume of the system by a factor of 6. That usually is sufficient for stainless. However, often overlooked by the welder is the need to clean and swab the inside of the pipe for a distance of 2 to 6 inches from the joint to remove oils, dirt, and other debris that can off gas when heated during the welding operation.

Calculate the volume of the region to be purged. That volume can reduced by employing inflatable dams to reduce the inert gas needed and to reduce the purge time. So, calculate the area (3.1416 x (D x D/4))/(12 x 12) of the pipe and multiply that by the length of pipe being purged. The divisor 12 x 12 is to give you square feet. Multiply by the length in inches / 12 to provide you with the volume in cubic feet. Now multiply that volume by 6. Divide the factored volume by the flow rate used, and that will tell you the time required to purge the system. That assumes the joints are taped (no leakage) and the ends of the pipe are sealed leaving only a small vent hole at the highest location.

Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-05-2016 04:09
Thank goodness they haven't applied the same logic to that yet as in D1.1.  Then no cleaning would be necessary and all welds everywhere would be equal....BAD. 

Brent
Parent - - By waqasmalik (**) Date 08-07-2016 06:49
Al
what are inflateable dams? I couldnt understand what is this and how it looks like
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-07-2016 11:54 Edited 08-07-2016 12:01
They are plastic inflatable bladders that seal using the pressure of the purge gas. They are used to reduce the volume of the region to be purged.

They can also be made from other materials, such as water soluble paper, to serve the same purpose.

I tried to attach a couple of photographs I took while I was at FabTech a few years ago, but the files are too large. Send me your e-mail by private message and I'll send the photos.

Al
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 08-07-2016 17:14
Plumber's "Footballs" are a common example and can be used.
In a pinch, we have even used cheap beach balls from WongMart.
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 08-07-2016 19:41
flux
DAMN
thought I was the only cheapskate who did that:eek::evil::twisted:
sincerely,
Kent
P.S. : still does not work that good:eek:
but anything to save a penny:evil::wink:
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Purging formula