Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Section 8 - b31.3 welder qualification
- - By weldin1975 Date 04-26-2003 15:42
I am a new CWI and my first job assignment will be to qualify welders to enable them to weld on section 8 pressure vessels and B31.3 piping by way of x-ray. What is the best way to go about this? It is my understanding that if a welder is qualified to weld section 8 pressure vessels than he can also weld on B31.3 /.1 piping, but not the other way around, is this true and if so what is the difference in qualifying to section 8 and to asme piping, is it the accept criteria for x-ray on the test? I am a little confused because it seems they all are qualified uder section 9. Thanks
Parent - By ArtR Date 04-26-2003 17:56
You will need to qualify your welders to ASME Section IX.

ASME Section VIII, B31.1 and B31.3 are the fabrication codes for pressure vessels, power piping and process piping respectively. All three require procedures and personnel to be qualified to ASME Section IX.

ASME Section IX is the qualification standard for welding and brazing procedures, welders, brazers, and welding and brazing operators. See ASME IX QW-304 for the type of test required for welders. Bend tests and visual examination are required. X-rays may be used as an alternate for certain processes and materials only.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Section 8 - b31.3 welder qualification