Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / thickness X 1.1 ASME IX
- - By macosta Date 08-09-2016 22:46
that qualifies conditions 1.1 times T
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 08-09-2016 23:40
Sorry but not sure the questions. But maybe its like a game of jeopardy.

GMAW Short Circuit Transfer is a process ....
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-10-2016 01:31
I'll take 'made of metal' for 500 Akex.
Parent - By qcrobert (***) Date 08-15-2016 17:18
overtime conditions = 1.5 X
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-16-2016 01:40
We've had our fun with the post, now it is time to offer some help to this poor soul.

I believe he is referring to the limitations placed on the thickness of the base metal or deposited weld metal when using GMAW in the short circuiting transfer mode. I could be wrong, it happen more often that I like, but never the less.

When qualifying a WPS using a coupon that is less than 1/2 inch (12 mm) thick, the maximum base metal thickness qualified is 1.1 times the thickness of the coupon. If the test coupon is more than 1/2 inch thick, the procedure is qualified for a base metal thickness of 2 times the coupon thickness.

Now remember, the applicable welding standard is ASME Section IX. What do the letters A, S, M, and E stand for? Always, Sometimes, Maybe, or Except. So, there is more than my short answer to the question, but it is a starting point for the conversation.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 09-15-2016 11:59
Al,
also, QW-403-6. says when performing a qualification that would include Charpy's then T (base metal thickness) is a supplementary essential variable where normally it would not be. Using an example of 1/4" base metal, QW-403-6 says that your min. T would be .250. But if you need to qualify down too, lets say to .125, then your coupon could be machined to .249 and your min. T now is .124.5.
Sorry for being a little off topic, but I'm going through both scenarios right now using the Miller RMD on a couple of compressor stations we are going to start work on for Trans-Canada. You have to be conscious of short circuit only allowing for 1.1 for certain thicknesses.  
Jim
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-15-2016 12:29
It would have been so much easier to respond had the original post actually asked a question. Then we would have a basis for responding  rather than guessing what he was looking for.

Working with thin materials can also be a problem in that one would have to use subsized samples.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / thickness X 1.1 ASME IX