Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AWS Standard Welding Procedures
- - By FloridaSnook (**) Date 04-28-2003 17:37
Our company performs mainly sanitary tubing stainless steel welding (GTAW). We do however, have the need from time to time to make SMAW welds for small hangers, supports and the like, 99% of which will be a fillet weld.

I want to identify a SWPS that I can purchase and then adopt that will provide me the necessay WPS to qualify my welders to. I want to give a plate grove test to cover us for grove welds and not be limited to fillet welds.

If I use B2.1-1-021 which is a combination (GTAW / SMAW) procedure, does that mean we have to use both processes to complete a weldment?

Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-28-2003 18:24
Are your hangers stainless? and are they welded to carbon steel supporting members? If so, I don't think you can write a WPS to cover both the Stainless to Stainless groove welds and the Stainless to Carbon Steel fillets together on the same WPS for the hangers.
Maybe someone else can help as this is not really my cup of tea,
John Wright
Parent - - By FloridaSnook (**) Date 04-28-2003 19:26
Hangers and other misc. structural members will be stainless and sometimes carbon so I will to be able to make SS to CS welds too. The existing members to which we attach vary as well, so there will be times we are welding SS to SS or CS to CS. I have 2 WPS now that cover our sanitary pipe and tube applications - just now a WPS for SMAW.
Parent - - By FloridaSnook (**) Date 04-28-2003 19:27
<spelling correction>

...just NOT a WPS for SMAW.
Parent - By Wildturkey (**) Date 04-29-2003 12:14
that wps is for carbon only
b2.1-1/8-014:2002 may help you for smaw
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AWS Standard Welding Procedures