Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Suggestions for Ammeters
- - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 08-17-2016 20:35
I intend to purchase a DC Ammeter for recording variables related to heat input for some D1.5 PQR's.

For voltage I will be using a regular off the shelf multimeter and take readings at the tip or neck. For amperage I am good with checking at the along the gun or the lead at the wire feeder.

I am wondering what people are using. I am not ready to put down the $ for a fluke unless I have to. I have seen some others that are listed as true RMS Ammeters by other companies. Does anyone have any hands on experience with something in the sub $200.00 range on inverter power supplies ? If so, what models have worked.

I have also considered an inline Shunt/Meter before at the wire feeder/lead connection.

I welcome any thoughts.

Thanks

Gerald Austin
Parent - - By 522029 (***) Date 08-18-2016 01:02
You are not likely to find a "true RMS" meter in the under $200 range. NO big deal. Unless you are doing extremely critical work (and I am not belittling your work), a true rms meter is not advantageous.
In my work I already had a Fluke 87 so a added a Fluke amp probe (clamp on, i1010, I think) that plugged into the 87.
For convenience, I cannot imagine going with the shunt method.
Also, even though you don't want to spring for the Fluke, you may be money and satisfaction ahead by doing so.

HTH
Griff
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 08-18-2016 02:17
Thanks. I found a fluke 325 that looks like something I can do.

The only thing that is critical just getting as accurate I can and a stable reading. I figured inverters may be a bit noisy.

Thanks for the advice.

Gerald
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Suggestions for Ammeters