Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Brazing glasses and their shading
- - By Kix (****) Date 08-18-2016 15:00
Does anyone know where I can find some verbiage to answer a couple questions I have about where the requirements come from for needing to where a shaded lens to braze? Such questions are as follows.

Does the type of fuel gas affect the requirement to wear a shaded lens and does the type of gas affect the number filter required?

What is the lowest filter # one can wear while brazing?

Does the type of molten braze filler material affect the required UV filtration needed for the eyes?

Thanks,

Kix
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-18-2016 23:05
Mostly, those are recommendations found in company safety manuals, AISC General Safety Guide for Fabricators, AWS Fabrication Safety, ANSI Z-49 (also available from AWS) and many other guides.  Most of these can be found for downloads but may not be exact titles.

Many other of the AWS Welding Handbooks and other resource welding instruction books will have guides/charts that are very similar in their recommendations.  They are usually based upon amperage, fuel pressure-tip size, welding/cutting process, and other factors that basically come down to illumination brightness factors to determine a safe exposure level for the human eye. 

Of course, older people want to see clearer with failing eyesight so will use less darkness shades of lens.  Inside a building with dim lights as opposed to outside in the sunshine.  Type of lens such as auto dark so you can see better without the arc struck and then not go blind when the arc is initiated.  Many other factors will help determine what shade works.

A company should establish a basic minimum for various processes for liability protection without making it overly restrictive for the production crew to choose what works for them. 

Directly to your question, yes, type of gas will make a slight difference because of the different ways they burn and the reactive effect when the flame is applied to the work. 

Personally, a #3 is about the lowest you really want to ever be for torch/brazing work.  For most people, probably a #7is would be the highest ever needed with #5 being a good average for many oxy-fuel applications both in welding and cutting. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 08-19-2016 13:41
Thank you for the reply Brent. I recently reached out to Philips Safety inquiring about their different shades of safety glasses. They provided me with some OSHA documentation that has minimum requirements and ranges. Silver Soldering gets me down to a minimum of a #2, but OSHA's min for Torch brazing is a # 3. I think that minimum is because of flux being used in most applications and the avg melting point of the fillers in roughly 1200 Deg F. IR radiation is the big killer because they can get pretty hefty UV protection with light shading, but not IR radiation protection. I Don't really want to buy any books so do you know of any Fuel gas UV output docs that can be downloaded fro free? I'm coming up short. I'm thinking I might be able to go after lighter shading for our fluxless application, but I need to verify flame info for the fuel gas we're using. We're using LP gas

Thanks again,

Kix
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Brazing glasses and their shading