Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Minimum Diameter and Thicknes to perform NDT by UT manual
- - By Richard Burthon Date 08-19-2016 09:49
Dear All,

Please inform me reference and standard, what is minimum diameter and thickness to be able to perform by UT Manual,..?as per ASME V there is no information, as per AWS D.1.1 just only mention thickness from 8 mm to 200 mm, 

regards
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-19-2016 12:53
The limitations listed by AWS D1.1 are based on the procedures included in D1.1, transducer type, size, angles, etc.

Thinner materials can be tested using different techniques. It is common to test sheet metal gages in the aerospace industries with surfaces waves. The techniques must be developed for the application, i.e., the approach is not prescriptive as it is in AWS D1.1.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-19-2016 13:09
Richard,

It may help if we knew what standards actually applied to the work to be performed not just the reference given from D1.1.  There are many differences between the multitude of wave forms, transducers, frequency, codes, etc. 

As Al stated, some are very good for very thin materials on applications for automotive, aerospace, and so much more.  Others then are good, such as the regulations for D1.1, for structural steels exceeding 5/16" (8mm). 

Can you give us more details?

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Richard Burthon Date 08-20-2016 00:14
Welderbrent,
I use API 1104 std for pipeline contruction, Our pipeline project for  distribution with range diameter 4 inch, 6 inch and 8 inch and thickness less than 8 mm
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Minimum Diameter and Thicknes to perform NDT by UT manual