Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / PROJECT SECTION
- - By amalgam (*) Date 04-30-2003 16:15
Hey you guys,
I have an idea that I do not know if some has proposed before. I think that it would be great if we had a section in this website where we can show our projects. This would be a good way to share ideas, knowledge, and an opportunity to explain and understand better many of the questions and answers that we post in the forum. I already sent an email to the web administrator, but it would be good to know everybody’s opinion on this matter. What do you think?

Alfredo
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-30-2003 16:42
Sounds good!
John Wright
Parent - - By Michael Sherman (***) Date 04-30-2003 18:55
If you do not get satisfactory results here, try the Hobart website. It allows you to post pictures and there are some knowledgeable people there also. You will not find the plethora of technical knowledge you have here, but for general information you will do okay.

Mike Sherman
Parent - By amalgam (*) Date 04-30-2003 23:27
Mike,
I do not know if I am misunderstanding your comment, but please do not get me wrong. I am not only getting satisfactory results here but I am also thankful to all the guys that take their time to share all that plethora of technical knowledge with amateurs like myself. I feel so comfortable in this forum that I do not want to go to another one. I just thought that maybe we can add an extra tool to help us in our communications.
Alfredo
Parent - By stever (**) Date 04-30-2003 21:55
Pictures are worth a thousand more questions!

I hope this can happen! I like the ideas exhange.
Parent - - By Dirtrider (**) Date 04-30-2003 22:40
I think that would be a great idea.

That said, my perception of this forum was that is was more for professional welders to share ideas and I have always tried to treat it as such. And sometimes I feel goofy asking questions about building my table or what welder should I buy, etc. Obviously that hasn't stopped me. :) I don't know how moderators feel about this. Perhaps the AWS looks at it as exposure to their organization and craft? All I know is there really is not another quality site out there like this and if anyone is getting tired of the newbie questions in the Shop Talk section, I would gladly go to another "hobby" section to ask questions, post projects & help other newbies. This board just has a different feel to it, there are VERY few (if any) solitations & spam, no one is slamming anyone for what they said and everyone seems eager to help answer questions, I hope it stays this way. So many of the good forums (motorcycles, fishing, biking) I used to visit have gone down hill with complicated software, loads of 13 year old kids jerking around, rude comments and tons of advertising and pop-ups. This place is simple, clean & easy to pop in and check out new posts.
Parent - By amalgam (*) Date 04-30-2003 23:48
I could not agree more. I also feel goofy because I ask the same questions. In fact, some times I feel like asking so many questions will make me look stupid. However, so far everybody has taken my questions seriously and I have learned a lot. For example, my very first question in this forum generated 27 responses. Isn’t that great!!!
Parent - - By 49DegreesNorth (**) Date 05-01-2003 00:04

I have never seen a forum like this one in terms of quality content. That said, I really like the idea of pictures -- the picture of the weld bead which someone sent a link to recently was great; it is very hard to describe this kind of thing. Pictures may be technically more difficult (memory hogs to store, difficult to catalog and archive, etc.) but would, I think, be worth the trouble. Of course, it wouldn't be MY trouble, so easy for me to say...

The "newbie" questions often have different responses from experienced welders -- proof that the simplest questions can be the most vexing.

Chris
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-01-2003 11:05
You know questions that seem difficult to me, are simply run of the mill to others, and they answer with ease. I feel like I've had exposure to all sorts of welding when my experience is primarily with structural steel, just by reading the posts on this forum. I say keep the questions coming, no matter how "goofy" you feel about them. And yeah, I think pics (in moderation) would be benificial to help answer questions that are hard or next to impossible to describe by typing. Gerald,(pipewelder_1999) has pics on his personal site that I check out and enjoy. If that feature could be added here, I think it might be beneficial.
John Wright
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 05-01-2003 11:21
If anyone has a picture they need to post to help others related o a question on this forum, I would be glad to post it on my site for a period of time. I have about 10 more MB of space left before I reach the limit of the domain host. I've got a few comments from people saying they would like me to change the pictures on my site anyway.

I like the format of this forum very much. Changing it to add pictures would probably slow it down a bit. However having a location to upload pictures and then embedding the links in the forum would be nice.

Also. Sites like Yahoo allow you to join for free and give you some limited storage space for public photos.

Good day

Gerald Austin
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-01-2003 12:03
Gerald has a good point about the pics may slow things down. Also I like the idea of posting pics somewhere else and providing a link to view them from here, to keep from bogging down the forum.
John Wright
Parent - By Dirtrider (**) Date 05-01-2003 17:20
Ya, links are fine.
Parent - - By kam (**) Date 05-01-2003 19:26
Here is a project that I have been confronted with....may you guys can help. The boy wants me to build him an outside half-pike for skateboarding. I know nothing about the sport and was wondering if anyone has built a half - pike. If so I would like to see how you did it. Have plenty of scrap steel and would like to have the boy help me put one togather but need some plans first. Off the subject alittle

Thanks

kam
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 05-01-2003 20:34
He's probably talking about a half pipe. I dont have any plans but we built one when I was a kid (Dogtown, Z Flex, Sims, OJs). But Not out of steel. The frame would lend itself to steel pretty good since it is easier to shape if you have equipment but I would stick to plywood for the surface, urethane and steel can be pretty slick with just the slightest moisture!

The shape is very dependent upon the skater. The tighter the transition(radius) the more g's when you go up and down. The more radius, the farther you have to travel to get vertical.

Skateboarders now do stuff I never dreamed of so my idea of a ramp would be different than one today probably.

Here are some sites with plans that are probably for wooden half pipes but you can get an idea of where to start.

http://www.freeramps.com/pagefour.html

http://www.rickdahlen.com/hpplans/plans.html

There may be an AWS code for this somewhere :)

I hope this helps.

G Austin

Parent - - By Dirtrider (**) Date 05-02-2003 11:26
Pipewelder, Dogtown was my brand (I'm 36) , my favorite was the big fat Shogokubo for riding pools & parks. I kick myself in the a$$ for every selling that board, I would love to have that as a wall hanger these days or just to tool around the neighborhood.

We always built our ramps from wood too....wood we "found". :) We had this one death ramp we built. 1/4 pipe, 9' high, only 4' wide. The first time I rode it I almost knocked it over. Then we braced it against the house, our driveway sloped toward the house and it went right to my parents bedroom over the garage, right in front of the window. That was great...until a friend shot his board into the window.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 05-04-2003 01:25
We bult one with 14 ft between copings and about 5 ft of transition and 2 ft of vertical. You had to get ready quick. I think we only suffered one broken leg.

I had a "Z-flex" w Trackers and "OJ's". When the wide boards came out I got a "Pigboard" but I can't remember the company.

My dogs name was Alva.
Parent - By bhiltz (**) Date 05-01-2003 20:49
i just watched an episode of monster garage where they took an RV,cut the sides off behind the drivers seat & made a half pipe in its place. they used (i think) 28ft radius?? they rolled 2"square tubing for the 2 curved sections, joined inbetween with flat frame sections ,covered all with plywood then added somekind of a covering that is used specially for ramps.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / PROJECT SECTION