Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Outside corner joint fillet weld in building box columns
- - By Hanif khodayari (*) Date 08-21-2016 19:53
Is it applicable to use outside corner joint fillet weld (with or without overlapping) in building structural steel box columns? Why?
Thanks a lot.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-21-2016 21:13
That's going to depend totally on your engineer and approved specifications.

But, generally not because the processes generally used to weld the corner joints can accomplish the work much faster with CJP's with backing.  Regardless of using SAW, FCAW, GMAW to complete the welds there is no way to properly weld out the corner for strength and stress distribution with a fillet weld on the outside corner. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Hanif khodayari (*) Date 08-22-2016 03:56
The people who use this type of joint generally believe that assembly and fixing plates to build box columns are easy and very economical because it has not joint preparation and do not need ultrasonic examination compared to CJP groove weld. I study a lot of books and standards like AWS D1.1, AISC design guide 21, AISC 360 and ... The major problems come with this type of joint, preparation and weld are LOF, melt through (some times called burn through), high weld width, high weld leg size per welding pass and LOP when have melting edges that is not verifiable and ....
What your idea about high weld metal, high welding operator skills, high flux wasting, high heat input and if plates overlap you have pre-made notch at the root of the joint!!!
By my opinion Figures 5.4 in AWS D1.1 (F) cause people to have mistake using outside corner joint fillet weld in building box columns!
Outside corner joint is not prequalified in figure 3.5 AWS D1.1-2015!!!? YOU KNOW WHY?
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-22-2016 12:15
I guess all those cover plates I've welded to columns over the years should be collapsing by now.

Al
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-22-2016 12:32
LOL...mine too Al.

....in fact I just inspected a warehouse where the existing columns were beefed up (full depth stiffeners and then plated) for an overhead crane system using 3/8" fillets 2" - 12" c/c, 22" at each end
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-22-2016 13:33
Okay, my wording may have come across slightly ultra negative saying there was "no way" (this is what you two are referring to, correct?) and I have used that type of corner connection for many applications as well, When Specified By The Engineer.  (I think you guys knew what I meant though)

There are times when that joint, if I understand him correctly, can be used (the attachment wouldn't open up for me BTW so I am only going by verbal description).  But on box columns?  If they are very long and if they are very thick it does not seem economical which was my main point.  Most fabricators I have been observing as a TPI have SAW systems that weld 2 - 4 welds at a time; all from the top so 2 box columns at once and 2 corners on each one at a time.  Using a corner weld would not be nearly as productive as using either PJP's or CJP's. 

And come on, beefing up existing columns isn't the same when adding extra for whatever reasons as building the new ones. 

Now, have I missed something, or is that what your comments were about?  I probably need to see if I can view his attachment yet.

Brent
Parent - - By Hanif khodayari (*) Date 08-22-2016 15:10
I want to talk about a lot of 32 floors steel structure building that use this type of joint and weld (I mean outside corner joint fillet weld) by my idea instead of PJP or CJP!
In outside corner joint fillet weld how we can sure that there is no defects like CRACK or LOF types without any non-destructive examination mostly by ULTRASONIC EXAMINATION???
Is there somebody OK with this type of joint and weld in box columns!!!?
I don't know why I can not attach JPG file to show you guys! Mr. Brent can I have your email to send attachment? I can helps you to see and keep talking about.
Do anyone see use of box columns in steel structure buildings? If yes please show or send to my email address "hanif.khodayari@gmail.com" Thanks.
Welding Handbook Vol 1 - Chapter 5, "Design for Welding" said: "Outside corner joint fillet weld is defficult to position. Thus, it usually requires fixturing. Small electrode with low welding currents must be used for the first weld pass to avoid excessive melt-through. This joints requires a large amount of weld metal." Figure (A).
Again I will try to sent picture (attachment).
Thanks all.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-22-2016 16:41
Why not purchase HSS square tubing? It would be cheaper than trying to produce your own sections by welding plate together at the corners.

Plating a WF section gives you more sectional value, simply plate across the flanges with plates that are wider than the WF section is deep and it gives you a nice joint for fillet welds without fear of burning through.
Parent - - By Hanif khodayari (*) Date 08-22-2016 22:10
This type of joints and connections have been designed and I am just welding Quality Assurance engineer in this project which visit, inspect and evaluate companies manufacturing components.
All contractors tend to produce outside corner joint fillet weld because they produce about 20 columns per week compare to CJP or PJP that produce only five ones!!! So how can we say that is not economical? Have you ever seen box column like this?
Attachment: IMG_20160823_024353.jpg (206k)
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-22-2016 22:48
Yes, I have seen box columns like that.  But:
1) The Welding Handbooks are not CODE books;
2) The Pre-Qualified/Approved joints in D1.1 are so for a reason, years of successful usage and research;
3) Have the Engineers for the job approved that joint?
4) Did you do a PQR prior to establishing a WPS for the welding?
5) Same size weld being the comparative issue, I would still take one of the other joint configurations as a matter of personal preference;
6) Done properly, one of the others should outproduce that weld.  If not, well, somehow you are not making all things equal.
7) With any form of plasma/torch plate prep table the edge prep should be about the same time for any of the joints.
8) You are building members for a structure over 30 stories tall using those corner welds?
9) With those welds, and part of what you stated earlier, there would be no UT of the joint, how are you verifying weld quality, fusion, and penetration to the root?
10) Really? 20:5 ratio difference?  YEP, it's economical for someone. 

You do what you want.  Not sure anymore what your original question was...but it doesn't matter.
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 08-22-2016 23:07
I really side with Brent
on his #3 and #8
He has 10 good ones, but those 2 stand out
but #3 does have an engineer involved  :eek::roll::razz:
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - By Hanif khodayari (*) Date 08-23-2016 04:03
Thank you a lot keeping discussion about subject...
I want to answer or note your 10 sentences,
1- Yes you are right but in AWS D1.1 figure 5.4 (F) it is pointed.
2- Definitely I agree with you.
3- Yes he did.
4- Yes we have got PQR and it was accepted.
5- ok
6- Until now it is OK but I do not know what happen if we have earthquake!!! Considratin Siesmic loading.
7- In square edge preparation we have only wire brushing the weld bead surface.
8- Yes :confused:
9- We have not sure what happens within it! I will show you a cross section of that joint.
10- Yep :wink:
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-23-2016 02:37 Edited 08-23-2016 03:09
Considering we are talking about the New Farm Code and considering this is the first edition that included sketches of prequalified fillet welded corner joint details, I would not hang my hat or future on a standard that says it fine to weld on surfaces contaminated with residual oil, grease, water, etc.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with using fillet welds to join two members on the outside corner joint provided the require weld size can be made without melting the edges of the members. Consideration for edge melting is the same for a partial joint penetration groove weld or a fillet weld located on the same side of the outside corner joint. Considering the subject of discussion is a column that is typically not subject to bending forces, it is improbable the loads on the welds are required to develop the full strength of either member in shear or tension, the allowable stress for the fillet weld is no different whether it is an inside corner joint or an outside corner joint. The analysis of the loading on the fillet welds could be similar as bracing of a long slender column where the kl/r is approaching 120, i.e., only about 2% of the compressive load.  And in consideration that the allowable unit stress for a partial joint penetration groove weld is the same as for a fillet weld and considering the fillets require less preparation, it is an option that should be considered.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-23-2016 04:35
I guess I've just been hanging around this larger iron for super probable super earthquakes in CA for too long.  That just doesn't seem like a weld I would want to use on a 30 floor building.

Thanks for the comments/explanations Al.

Parent - By Hanif khodayari (*) Date 08-23-2016 07:05
I hope so Dear Brent :smile:
Thank you for your all attentions and comments.
Have a great moments, Hanif
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-23-2016 12:22 Edited 08-23-2016 12:24
Considering the large forces imposed on all members of a structure subject to seismic activity, I probably wouldn't use a fillet weld or a PJP groove weld on the outside corner joint. However, a major seismic event is not an everyday occurrence. Buildings in general are subjected to static loads. During a seismic event, the probability of an "overload" is a distinct possibility. The overload condition may result in structural failure, i.e., permanent deformation of the connections or individual members. In that case, connections that exhibit ductile failure is the desired failure mode rather than connections that may fail by brittle fracture. CJP welds have a higher allowable stress that either PJP or fillet welds. Compare a CJP weld that has the same allowable stress as the base metal. The short version: both the fillet weld and the PJP weld are on the order of 0.3 times the strength of the filler metal, but it cannot exceed 0.4 times the yield strength of the base metal. These are the allowable stresses for static loads. The New Farm Code is supplemented by D1.8 when the structure is located in an area where a seismic event is probable. The design parameters change and every effort is made to ensure ductile failure, i.e., the use fillet welds and PJP welds are restricted and the design of the connections are significantly modified when compared to the connections permitted where seismic activity is a low risk.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Hanif khodayari (*) Date 08-24-2016 02:20
You pointed a great note and I would say thank you for your all attentions.
I just want to show you some cross section of outside corner joint with overlap.
Personally, I am so worry about pre-made notch that we have created at the root of the joint.
Is it not to increase stress concentration at root and because often the process is SAW result in the through thickness is less than actual size wrote in WPS. How can we make sure our weld metal' quality is good? Hot we can detect LOP, LOF (in root and between weld passes) and maybe crack!!!?
By which reason and logic Designers choose outside corner joint fillet weld for box columns! I don't know???
Attachment: IMG_20160824_065245.jpg (211k)
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-24-2016 02:23
$

$

$
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-24-2016 02:47
Compared to the pics showing the parts in a trough so the welds were truly 'flat', those welds would APPEAR to be unacceptable. 

Weld is not to the root and the legs and throat dimensions are not as they should be.  Looks like training time for the SAW operators.  No wonder they can do 20:5 ratio on production.  Wait and see what that number does when they start fixing those. 

Like I said/asked before, static or not, I would not want to see that on a 30 story job I was on. 

Parent - - By Tyrone (***) Date 08-24-2016 11:35
Hanif,
Do the welds meet the minimum weld size specified by the Designers?  If so, as an Inspector, it passes.

The WPS and supporting PQR proves the process is acceptable to produce welds specified. Check the weld parameters being used in Production to make sure they're in line with the WPS.

It sounds like you do not have a non destructive test process in place.  That's how you would detect defects (lof, cracks, porosity, etc).

All PJP joints have a notch.  The Designers should allow for a stress concentration factor.  Talk to the Designers about your concerns.  Maybe they have perfectly good reasons for their decisions....or not.

Tyrone
Parent - - By Hanif khodayari (*) Date 08-24-2016 19:30
Thank you Tyrone
My important concern is about cracking initiate from the root of the joint and propagate to the surface, I will send some photos about crack!!!
At AISC design guide 21, there is a table 3-1and 3-2 that prohibit usage of fillet weld in outsite corner joint.
Hanif.
Attachment: IMG_20160825_011434.jpg (86k)
Attachment: IMG_20160825_011432.jpg (33k)
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-24-2016 19:43
Save your screenshots as JPEG files before you attach them... I think that will help
Parent - By Hanif khodayari (*) Date 08-24-2016 20:49
Dear Lawrence,
Thank you so much, Here you are.
Hanif
Parent - - By Tyrone (***) Date 08-25-2016 12:57
Hey Hanif,
I think there's a misunderstanding of corner joint.  The AISC design guide 3.2 shows a pictorial of a corner joint. See attached jpeg.  It's impossible to put a fillet weld for this joint configuration.

Tyrone
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-25-2016 21:38
It's only impossible on the outside of the joint, but you make a good point sir.

Brent
Parent - - By Hanif khodayari (*) Date 08-25-2016 22:18
Dear Tyrone,
I am ok with AISC Design Guide 21, but the question is why AWS D1.1 2015 has introduced figure 5-4 (F) as corner joint fillet weld!!?
Please see attached photo,
Hanif
Attachment: 2016-08-2602.43.01.jpg (465k)
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-26-2016 02:21
So, where is the prohibition of the outside corner joint?

Al
Parent - By Hanif khodayari (*) Date 08-26-2016 19:31
In AISC Design Guide 21... Table 3-1 and 3-2
Attachment: 2016-08-2700.04.56.jpg (879k)
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-24-2016 02:25 Edited 08-24-2016 02:27
I would definitely say someone needs to reconsider the welding parameters used to make those fillet welds. The legs are nowhere nearly equal and the throat is much less than they could be if the fillet welds more closely resembled an isosceles right triangle.

Al
Parent - By Trackergd (**) Date 08-26-2016 14:05
I was just looking at that picture and I have to side with Al.  :eek:
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Outside corner joint fillet weld in building box columns