Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic AWS.org / Forum News & Help / Pressure testting after Construction
- - By Richard Burthon Date 08-23-2016 06:27
Dear All,

My project is distribution gas pipeline, the pipeline designed as per  ASME B31.8 edition 2014

in paragraph 841.3.1 General Provisions. All piping systems shall be tested after construction to the requirements of this Code except for pre-tested fabricated assemblies and welded tie-in connections where post construction tie-in testing is not practical.

In paragraph 841.3.2 (d)
(d) Before being placed in service, a newly constructed pipeline system shall be strength tested for a minimum period of 2 hr at a minimum pressure equal to or greater than that specified in Table 841.3.2-1 after stabilization of temperatures and surges from pressuring operations has been achieved. The minimum pressure shall be obtained and held at the highest elevation in the pipeline system.

My questions are
1. what's kind of  fabricated assemblies..?
2.As per paragraph 841.3.2 (d) above, Valve and Insulation Joint shall be tested minimum 2 hours ..?

thanks for helping
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-23-2016 19:46
Your piping system, pipe spools, manifolds, etc.

Al
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-23-2016 21:51
Sometimes those systems can be isolated and tested by themselves but sometimes not because it isn't "practical" for any one of several reasons.

According to what I see in your quote of specs you need to bring it up to a specified pressure and hold it there for 2 hrs to validate strength as well as obviously leakage. 

Have you ever seen a weak weld, connection, seam, valve, blow under pressure?  They peel open pretty good and not necessarily the minute the pressure is applied.   Some items, depending upon materials used such as valves, can even have shrapnel because of the way they come apart. 

Bottom line: stand clear during testing.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 08-27-2016 15:15
I am in the Same Field. Our Procedures are provided by the Gas Company. They state the Below Ground is an 8 Hour Hydrotest (Pressure depends on Size and Use) and Above Ground is a 4 Hour Hydro
Up Topic AWS.org / Forum News & Help / Pressure testting after Construction