Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Los Angeles City Test?
- - By JTMcC (***) Date 04-30-2003 18:25
Is anyone familiar with what is covered in the L.A. City Certified Welder, Steel, written test? We have several welders going to take the test, but the information given by the city is vague, such as - "the test covers general welding knowledge". We do have a copy of D1.1 for the open book part. Thanks in advance if you can shed some light on what to expect.

JTMcC.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-30-2003 19:14
DGXL is familiar with some of those tests out there on the west coast, but I think he might be out of town as I haven't seen him on here in a week or so. I'm sure when he gets back he could shed some light on what is required of you at those testing sites. There are some other folks that monitor this forum that live and work out that way, maybe someone will offer some info for you.
John Wright
Parent - By JTMcC (***) Date 05-01-2003 02:19
Thanks to those that e mailed replies, any and all comments are welcome.
JTMcC.
Parent - - By Brett B (*) Date 05-01-2003 11:21
We are a city of L.A. approved fabricator and the test of consisted of
general welding knowledge - ie: weld symbols,knowing the different processes of welding - GMAW,FCAW,SAW etc. Weld discontinuties /
acceptance criteria. It seemed to pretty straight forward from my standpoint. The handbook for welding inspectors offered through
AWS pretty much covers all of the information and is pretty easy to read / understand.

Brett B.
Parent - - By DGXL (***) Date 05-06-2003 01:47
20 questions general welding knowledge. (The 1 in E7018 is:...)
10 welding symbols. (Easy, but be alert.)
20 code book questions. (Know how to use the code before going to the exam.)

That is how it was. Like anything else in this world, preparation is the key. If your prepared, no problem. I hope you guys have more than 1 code book between you. If you already did your 3G/4G, bring your sealed enevelope with test results and more $. Also, apply for your semi-auto, two more plates and the same basic questions on the written test (What does the S mean in ER70S-6?) They also like to see if you know what E71T-8 means.

Try contacting a COLA inspector who gives the exam for current info, not the receptionist. (They might explain what I just did more briefly.) Back in the 80's there was a sign in the old testing room that read "Crying Towels, $2.00.

Humm.
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 05-06-2003 04:22
Thanks, we are testing on staggered dates so our one code book will do. Try contacting a COLA inspector??? You can spend 5 hours in their phone system and never talk to a human being! No kidding! I do appreciate all info offered.

Regards,
JTMcC.
Parent - - By WBI (*) Date 05-09-2003 15:57
They won't let you wait 5 hours. If the call center can't transfer you to the right person within two minutes they get a gig. Any questions about welding exams or special inspection goes to the Materials Control section. Ask to be transferred there. They write and administer the exams.

Basically DGXL was close enough. Except the sign was never there! Also there is no separate written test for semi-auto although there may be some FCAW and GMAW questions on the test. semi-auto is for the practical only. has to do with keepiong the records straight

If you do have the performance results with you they have to be in a sealed envelope from the testing agency or school. The exams are given on Thursday evenings and you finish after the licensing section closes so taking the plate results isn't necessary. You will be told to wait two working days from the exam to pick up the license.

Be sure your code book is current. They must be AWS Structural Welding Codes. '98, 2000 or 2002 are used for the open book D1.1; 98 for the D1.3 and D1.4; '97 for aluminum. Each applicant has to have his/her own copy. They check for cheat sheets but tabbed pages and highlighted text are ok.

Hope this helps someone
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 05-09-2003 16:19
Hi WBI,
You can indeed spend 5 hours in the phone system, I have a phone bill to prove it. When it's working properly I am sure you are right though. That day they were having a real problem with phones as their number was being answered at the wrong location and all attempts to transfer were unsuccesfull. I bid a few jobs in California last year and the state beaurocracy is as inefficient as any I've dealt with.
Anyway, I took and passed the test yesterday. They said they averaged a 77% failure rate, of the 8 that tested with me, 3 passed, the other 2 took the light gage test. I would add to the good advice above, that the ability to look up answers in the code book quickly is important. On the open book part, you're required to both answer the question and cite the section, table or figure where the answer is found.
Parent - - By DGXL (***) Date 05-09-2003 16:36
JT, Congrats on passing.
WBI, Yes there was a sign.
Parent - By WBI (*) Date 05-23-2003 15:30
OK let me modify that comment about the sign. I never saw it in the two years when I helped administer the exam from 1982 to 1984. During that period some of the tests were given where Plumbing Inspectors sat in the mornings. Maybe it was their sign ;-)
Parent - - By WBI (*) Date 05-23-2003 16:23
Congrats on passing the test JT. That test has been intentionally difficult for several years. The idea is that a welder can be given a plan or WPS and told to go build it with some assurance that it will be done right. Lately, especially on public works jobs, there are superintendents or project managers who come from totally unrelated trades. Imagine waiting for a painter to explain a weld symbol. It's happened.

As for the phone center, it always helps to have the name of a person or operating section to ask for directly. Unfortunately, bureaucrats tend to hide and not tell people where they are. In Los Angeles, if you want to know about building trade licenses, ask for "Licensing" If you want to know about fabricators or materials testing ask for "Materials Control" BTW Materials Control also writes and administers the welders test.
Parent - - By DGXL (***) Date 05-23-2003 18:18
WBI:
The sign was ther for a short period in 1988 or 89, I'm getting old. Severeal of my students pointed it out when they were testing. I would take the test myself even though I already had my license. This was to keep up with the test material.

Please note this was not for the purpose of memorization, trying to keep up with current test data was all. I strictly disdain memorization in lieu of learning and studying, and still do 15 years later.
Parent - - By WBI (*) Date 06-03-2003 19:28
I admire your ethics and feel confident that some of that attitude was instilled in your students. It's nice to know that there are people out there who are serious in their approach to a job and pass it along to others. Unfortunately, there are also those who look for the short cuts and would rather learn simple answers than learn how to deal with questions. It's probably the last lot that cause the tests to be re-written every time a new code comes out.

My question is, does the written exam ask too much of a welder? Some of the questions seem more suited to a CWI
Parent - By JTMcC (***) Date 06-04-2003 03:17
I don't think it's so much asking too much of the welder as it is asking the wrong thing. It's ridiculous, in my opinion. But it's their ball and bat so if you want to play...
The closed book general welding questions are appropriate, but what purpose does it serve to make the welder display an ability to look up answers in the code book quickly? You don't have to know the answers to any of the code related questions, you only need to look the answer up and cite the section, table ect where you found it. He will never need to do this on the job, he doesn't even need to ever lay eyes on the code again.
I think it would be of greater value to ask more, and more difficult welding questions that relate to the work the welder will be doing.
Make it as hard as you want, but make it relevant.

JTMcC.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Los Angeles City Test?