Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / ICC S1 Questions
- - By Joshhanley35 Date 08-24-2016 20:37
I'm looking to take the ICC S1 Structural Steel and Bolting Exam. 
My question is what code books do I need for this.  I can't seem to find any information on which code books are covered. 
Do I need to purchase the AISC code book, or the Structural Steel Inspector’s Workbook?
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-24-2016 21:50
Josh,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

Go to this link:

http://productionpullzone.umz7izwbxixtqs4tn8wkvgdcktq5y5tafr.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/National_Certification_EIB-CBT.pdf

From there you should be able to find all you need.  ICC is not a difficult website but it does take a little digging.  After reading the first few pages, when you get to the references part, go to page 71 and you will find the references for the Bolting Exam.

You will have a 2 part exam with 3 1/2 hours total that they don't interrupt you on.  Watch your time so you don't short yourself on the drawings part.  After you submit the 1st part, you can't go back so make sure you are done with all you want.

Yes, you need both the books you mention as well as the IBC 2012. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Joshhanley35 Date 08-24-2016 23:32
Thank you very much! I actually found that page on my own but you are right it did take a little digging. 
Can you give me some pointers on the exam itself.  I gather the first part is open book which I think I can handle just by continuing to study the books.  I'm a little concerned about the blue print section though.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-24-2016 23:56
Do you use actual building/erection drawings at any time?

These will be of a multi-story building.  They will keep you bouncing around from one print to another looking at the schedules, notes, details, etc.  Just read the question carefully and you should do fine.

Try to cut yourself off of the first part, code book, at about 2 hours.  2 hours is plenty of that portion and 1 1/2 hours is plenty for the plans.  I had plenty of time to review my answers on both parts before submitting them.  But, I did use up most of the time.  I have never been one to just finish as fast as I can and call it quits.  Sure, one needs to be careful about changing an answer, but often you will find a piece of information further along and think back and say, ooppss, if I have time I need to change that one back a few questions. 

You do know how the S2 portion works don't you?  The Welding Special Inspector cert?  You don't have to take that test to get the cert if you are a CWI.  They call it a Transition (same as reciprocity) Cert.  If you need info I can show you where to go. 

Parent - - By Joshhanley35 Date 08-25-2016 00:12
Brent,
         Thanks so much. I've been working in erecting/fabrication since I was 10 years old so I should be okay on the drawings section. I'm going for my CWI at the end of the month. I'm taking the seminar and the exam so I'm not super worried about that. It's good to know that I don't have to take the S2 part. I was going to wait until after the CWI exam to take S2 anyway because then I would have the D1.1 book from the seminar.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-25-2016 02:28
Anybody who isn't 'worried' about the CWI exam...worries me.  The seminar is a long way from making you a shoe in.  What else have you done to prepare for the exams?  Have you purchased any books to do self study prior to the seminar/exam?  Do you have an old copy of the D1.1 to be getting used to? 

Tell me you aren't going into this cold turkey...Please.

Parent - - By Joshhanley35 Date 08-25-2016 13:29 Edited 08-25-2016 13:59
Brent,
        I'm just completing the pre seminar right now. I have about 5 hours of the 72 remaining. I acquired an older edition of the d1.1 code book so I'm going through that right now. I also have 20+ years as a certified welder/ steel erector so I'm sure that helps a bit. I've also made good friends with a few CWI's I work with on a regular basis and they are giving me pointers.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-25-2016 21:35
That, sir, is going about it the right way.  Congrats on having your plan in place, using it in a productive fashion, and knowing how to follow through.

Best of luck to you.

Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / ICC S1 Questions